Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

do i need to connect my 2 6509e via a trunk 10gig ports?plz explain about this Issues

10xs

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ali

Need a bit more info on this. What module are you using in the 6500 and what are you trying to achieve. There is no issue as such with running a 10Gb trunk.

Jon

Hey Jon;Happy new year!

the ports is 10gig;do i need to connected the 2 6509 togather?

10xs

Ali

Happy new Year to you too.

Still not clear. Do you want to connect the 2 switches together with 10Gb ports.

Basically you can connect your 6500 switches together with

1) Single port whether that be FastEthernet or Gigabitethernet or 10Gigabit. All of these can either be Layer 2 trunks or L3 links.

2) A number of ports logically grouped together ie. 8 x 100Mb, 8 x 1Gb, 8 x 10Gb. Note it doesn't have to be 8 it can be any number from 1 through 8 as long as the ports are operating at the same speed/duplex.

So it's really up to you whether you connect your 6500's with 10Gb if you have those type of ports available.

The main question would be do you need to have 10Gbps or more throughput between your switches.

Jon

hello

the reason for:if the 1st 6509 goes down the traffic travers the 2nd 6509.because i have the 1st primary for odd vlan and the 2ns primary for the even vlans and vice versa

its Clear now?

10xs Jon

Ali

If your first 6509 actually goes down then it won't really matter whether it is connected to the second one or not.

However if the a module fails in your first 6500 and your servers etc. are dual honed then absolutely yes it would make sense to connect your 2 6500 switches together and indeed this is a standard configuration ie.

access-layer switch has dual connections to 2 distribution switches. The distribution switches are then connected together as well.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card