Views
Helpful
Replies

62.5u or 50u Fiber connections

mchiaravalle_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Currently we are using 62.5u fiber between the core switch and the uplinks from our access switches.

If we change from 62.5 to 50 do we have to replace the GBICs and 1000base SX SPFs? I realize I'll need new patch cables but not sure on the fiber transceivers.

Reason I'm asking is we've tasked our wire installation contractor to rum more fiber strands between two bldgs., and he is suggesting that we go with the 50u size.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution
3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

They are both multimode fibre so you should be fine with the same GBIC's. Please see the attached sheet for details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5455/products_data_sheet09186a008014cb5e.html

Jon

justinm.smith
Level 4
Level 4

You do not need new GBICs/SFPs. Also, I have run 10 gig connections over 50u riser fiber with 62.5u patch cables so you may want to try the existing cables before buying new ones. I would definitely recommend going with the 50u per your contractor for future bandwidth growth.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco