Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS "re-license" questions

bradfirestone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got some questions about used routers. If I buy a used 1841-SEC/K9 with version 12.4(8), what would be the proper (and least expensive) way to obtain the latest software, the vpn clients, and/or a Smartnet service contract.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brad

The title of your question introduces the concept of re-license. However it is my understanding that Cisco does not re-license. Cisco sells the license to the original purchaser and the license is not transferable. If you purchase used routers you are leagally required to purchase new licensing for them as part of purchasing a smartnet contract. The purchase of smartnet will allow you to upgrade versions on the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for your reply. I had seen the re-license term used in several places and thought that was how Cisco referred to it.

So how do I purchase the new licensing? Would a purchase of the Smartnet contract: CON-OS-C1841SEC be sufficient? Or do I need to do the software first? Would this be the right part: CD18-ASK9= ?

I'm am looking for the proper, legal procedure. I just can't find it anywhere on Cisco's site. The links that I did find using Google all point to a page that no longer exists.

Thanks again for your help!

bump.

Brad

This question involves issues that I do not have direct experience with, so my answers are not authoritative - perhaps someone who does deal with these can jump in. But I believe that you would need to purchase both a software license and also the SmartNet contract. Depending on where you are located I would assume that you could find a Cisco partner who would be able to assist you with software purchase and SmartNet.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: