Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Capture Question

whitlowdustin
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to use the packet capture feature in LMS 3.0 Device Center, but it says I must have WinPcap installed before using it. I have installed WinPcap on my PC, but it still says that I need to install it. What else do I need to do to get this working?

The switches I want to do packet capture on range from: 2950, 3548, and 3560. I'm guessing that maybe I need to set something up on the actual switches??

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, just installing the WinPcap is sufficient. Make sure you install WinPcap ON THE SERVER. The packet capture originates on the server, not on the client machines.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, just installing the WinPcap is sufficient. Make sure you install WinPcap ON THE SERVER. The packet capture originates on the server, not on the client machines.

Good deal. Thanks very much. It's installed and working. I just wanted to make sure of what I was doing before installing!

Does WinPcap require admin privilege to install/run?

Install, yes, but not to run. The way it works is that once it's loaded, it will run under any user. This is why we do not install WinPcap as part of LMS. We just include the installer, but leave it up to the admin to install.

Quick question...

So, is WinPcap included on the actual install disk for LMS?

Yes. It can be found under NMSROOT\objects\jet\bin. The installer is winpcap.exe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: