cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

.jet file extension

whitlowdustin
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, after google searching a ton on the .jet file extension I seriously cannot figure out how to open a .jet file. This is the standard file extension for files created in the packet capture of the device center. Can someone please teach this noob how to work with a .jet file?

Thanks and happy new year! :)

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I created the extension to be unique and to discourage use of the packet capture utility as a general purpose sniffer. It is designed to be used purely for troubleshooting problems with LMS.

Jet files are nothing more than Ethereal/Wireshark pcap sniffer files, and can be opened in any application that understands pcap format.

Jet is an acronym for "Joe's Ethereal Tool."

Wow, straight from the creator. Thanks Joe. May I ask why LMS was made this way? My System Admin. likes the feature and wants me to set it up so we can use it like Ethereal.

The tool was added primarily for Windows where no sniffer was available by default so that we in TAC could troubleshoot problems more easily. The idea was a customer creates a jet capture, then sends that file to TAC for analysis. I never added enough features (nor do I plan to do so) to make JET a web-based Wireshark.

That makes perfect sense. I can see why you would make LMS that way. My System Admin and I are playing around with the jet capture right now and trying to figure out exactly how it's working. Is there a number I can reach you at to ask more specific questions as they come up instead of continuing this forum post? My email is whitlowd@bit-sys.com.

Thanks,

Dustin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: