cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Expected digits from phone company

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

All, I have a few questions that I cant remember how to do, and need advice from you guys.

1. How can I tell how many digits a CME and a CallManager is expecting to see from the phone company?

2. If I tell the phone company to send only 4 digits to my site, does that mean that they will expect 4 digits sent from site to phone company also?

3. How can I tell on an CME and CallManager how many digits will be sent to the phone company?

Thanks all in advance.

6 Replies 6

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

That will depend of the circuit you have.

If you have a T1 PRI, run a debug isdn q931 in the Cisco Voice GW which is configured in CCM or if the circuit is connected to the same CME run tha command too.

"If I tell the phone company to send only 4 digits to my site, does that mean that they will expect 4 digits sent from site to phone company also"

That will be for caller ID only because if you dial 911 or local|LD international number they dont expect 4 digits right?

Cisco.com has all the information you are looking for.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a00806e8c1f.html

anderson-david
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

1. this will depend on how you want to configure your system ie if you have 4 digit extensions then it is easier to have the phone company forward 4 digits and as such have an easier config without the need for extra translation patterns etc

2. No

3. The phone company allways receive all digits including code ie 0123456789, the only difference you can make is whether to show the extension full DDI number or the main number of the site. ie 01234 124444 where 4444 is the extension number or 01234 120000 where this is the main number on the PSTN cct.

I hope this helps

Thanks for answering.

1. Id prefer the 4 digit forward from the phone company, as I also thought that would be easier. But, if the phone company decides to send 7 instead, would the translation pattern be something like this:

123XXXX (XXXX being the extension?) forwarded to XXXX ?

2. Thanks for clarifying.

3. Thats very helpful.

Hi Jjoseph01,

There are various ways to configure the translation pattern: one way you can use it to use 123.XXXX and then use the "discard pre-dot" in the called-party transformation window.

Depending on how you've configured the PRI you may have other alternatives. If, for example, you're connecting it using MGCP you can use the "inbound: significant digits" attribute to ensure only 4-digits will be delivered.

Hopefully that's useful,

Stu

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

Hope the new year finds you well! Just wanted to add a little note to the great info from Gonz, David and Stu. I did work for the local Telco here for a number of years and the request for the number of Digits sent is extremely common. This is by no means a huge change for them to make (to send you 4-digits) so they should be very accomodating when you make the Change Order.

These type of changes should also be a zero dollar reque$t :)

Take care,

Rob

All, thanks for the insight and help on this. I feel like Im much clearer on this. Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: