cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS problem on 877

jonhowell
Level 1
Level 1

Have just configured a cisco 877 however I am having some DNS troubles.

The adsl connection seems to work fine as from the router itself I can ping internet addresses and resolve URL's.

However the computer that is using the router as its gateway does not seem to get any DNS information from the router. If I set the DNS server to look at another one on my network internet access works fine and I can also get to internet sites by IP rather than

URL

Any help would be greatly appreciated

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jon

Some information about how you have configured your 877 would be helpful. Can you post the configuration?

It sounds like you want to use your 877 to provide DNS services to the inside hosts. The default configuration of most IOS devices assumes that the inside hosts will be configured with some other explicit DNS server. Have you configured the 877 to provide this service to the inside hosts?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the reply Rick

I haven't configured the router to provide DNS to inside hosts, I did suspect that by default that it was not providing DNS. How would I configure it to do so?

I'll get the config for you

Jon

Jon

Add this to your configuration to enable your router to act as a DNS server:

ip dns server

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card