ASK THE EXPERT - COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER EXPRESS AND CISCO UNITY EXPRESS

Unanswered Question
Jan 2nd, 2008

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get an update on Cisco Communications Manager Express (formerly CallManager Express) and Cisco Unity Express (CUE), with Cisco expert Tony Huynh. Tony is a technical marketing engineer for Cisco Callmanager Express (CME) at Cisco Systems, Inc. He is a (CCIE) Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert in routing, switching and voice with eight years of design and support experience in the information technology industry. Over the years, he has worked for various corporations including several Fortune 500 companies. Tony is an expert in documenting, designing, and implementing various communication systems. His areas of expertise include technologies such as routing & switching as well as IP telephony.

Remember to use the rating system to let Tony know if you have received an adequate response.

Tony might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through January 11, 2007. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.3 (3 ratings)

Recently we installed a UCC server for one of our clients and it has never worked properly. We have opened cases with TAC and they keep telling us that for the features to work properly that we have to wait until the next version of it to come out. Do you have any idea when this will be released? I big selling point for CME that customers want are what the UCC is supposed to do such a the mobility.

Tony Huynh Fri, 01/04/2008 - 19:08

We are currently testing the new release of UCC and it is due out in January timeframe. What exact features are you looking for?

Thanks

Tony,

Just basic things like when dialing from the UCC it doesn't take the phone off the hook. The IM never worked. and the Mobility features never worked. We have opened numerious cases with TAC and sent a bunch of debugs over the last few months and have gotten nowhere. I hope this next issue works out these bugs.

Thanks,

Drew

n.marcolongo Fri, 01/04/2008 - 06:06

Hi!

Our company (a local ISP) is willing to buy a UC520 bundle with 4 BRIs and 4 FXS for analog telephones and FAXes.

We plan on having 30 Cisco IP Phones. No teleworkers. Multiple SIP trunks and B-ACDs.

The idea is to start using 2 BRI to receive/send calls and faxes with our existing PSTN numbers. Next we'll buy a dozen of SIP numbers (every account/number has a different username/password but they're with the same provider) to realize a semi-keysystem where some SIP numbers are directly put to the phones. These phones have obviously internal numbers too and are 7906G.

Next, up to 10 outgoing calls must use an additional SIP trunk and the exceeding calls are to be routed to the ISDN BRIs if available. If needed, with a different prefix anyone may choose to be routed to the ISDN for the outgoing calls. This is a matter of precedence and destination patterns, right?

Now the toughest part for me.

When an incoming call to any of the BRIs or to a specific SIP number (obviously not one that is directly overlaid to phone button, but probably the one used to make outgoing calls) must be sent to a hunt group (likely parallel), if no one is answering in 20 seconds a B-ACD takes over putting the call on queue and continuing the parallel hunt. I'm not sure if this behaviour for the B-ACD is possible.

An analog FAX on a FXS must pickup the first free ISDN BRI line, so no intermediate tone of the PBX. I think it's called PLAR. Am I right?

Last thing. After hours anyone from any phone may enable another B-ACD that answers any incoming calls saying that the office is closed.

On the multiple SIP trunks I've found some resources that I cannot verify but seem to blend nicely with my specifications:

http://forum.voxilla.com/broadvoice-support-forum/cisco-cme-ios-gw-config-bv-13324.html

http://forum.voxilla.com/other-hardware-software/cme-multiple-lines-16873.html

Can you help me? I know... Maybe these are too many questions :-)

Happy new year.

Tony Huynh Fri, 01/04/2008 - 20:47

This portion is from internal alias.

Short answer is yes. The real question is when would an SMB have 2 or more SIP trunks to different providers? Is this more for time/cost-based routing or load-balancing or redundancy? Is the cost of having 2 or more SIP trunks up not too high?

Technically this is feasible - you need to have appropriate dial peers with the right preference to route calls out the right trunk (SIP).

On the SIP trunk - is this to the same SP or different SPs. If different, will both SP's need Registrations from the UC500? Reason for asking - currently UC500 can have 1 " active registrar" at any point of time - only if primary registration fails, it will try the backup. Also, you need to define the same username/pwd for SIP registration on the UC500 for both SPs. Note this is not configurable via CCA but need to use IOS CLI.

Things to keep in mind. Currently UC500 only supports up to 16 users, not 30.

Last thing. After hours anyone from any phone may enable another B-ACD that answers any incoming calls saying that the office is closed. - this is not possible

There are quite a few questions here, so lets keep them separate as much as possible.

n.marcolongo Sat, 01/05/2008 - 04:28

Actually a SIP trunk is really inexpensive in Italy, and, yes, only one SP for all the trunks. The fact that we have to use many trunks is because the SP is not willing to trunk more than one number per trunk (silly, huh?). Further, I'm not scared by the CLI :-)

So, the important things are actually 3:

- As stated in the links I provided, is it possible to have more than one SIP account to the same SP? This way I can have more than one number registered to the same SP and using only one for the outgoing calls.

- Is there any way to enable another B-ACD when the office is closed?

- This data sheet (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7293/products_data_sheet0900aecd8061fb06.html) says that the UC500 family may support up to 48 users. Is this right?

Thanks again.

rseiler Sat, 01/05/2008 - 15:34

I have been involved in several feature requests for CME since ITS 1.0 and all have been incorporated into IOS except for the following:

XML help button on CME ip phones doesn't work

Particularly with the introduction of the UC520/1861 standalone SMB routers last year, I certainly expected the help button and XML help files to work on the CME router.

This is a competitive and customer satisfaction issue and, quite frankly, a huge oversight of Cisco in my opinion.

One of the competitive differentiators of the Cisco ip phones is the large displays and built-in XML help button.

And please don't tell me to point the ip phone's xml help button to an existing CallManager or MS IIS web server with the CCM ASP pages!

Thank you. Please pass this on to the appropriate product owner if necessary...

Tony Huynh Mon, 01/07/2008 - 11:08

Thanks for the feedback. I will discuss this with the product team.

Regards,

Tony

abyewondimu Mon, 01/07/2008 - 03:53

I have a 2851 Router that came with CME (IOS 12.4) and CUE 2.3. I initialized it with CME but later I was told to integrate it with CCM 4.2. I could not get to the GUI Cisco uniy express. It keeps saying lost contact with Ccme Express it asks to put the CME WEB administrator password. I tried all the possword but did not work. When it try to integrate it from CLI to CCM it says that it is not allowed.

I got this on my research and if i have to do this is there a doc that guides me.

Note: There is no method to convert or back up and restore from a Cisco CallManager

Express integrated

with Cisco Unity Express to a Cisco CallManager integrated with Cisco Unity Express or vice versa. The card

must be re-imaged. This means that you must reapply the software and license, and all the configuration and

data, which includes voice mail messages, are lost.

Tony Huynh Mon, 01/07/2008 - 16:26

The issue is the licensing for CME and Callmanager are different, thus the requirement for the new license install.

abyewondimu Thu, 01/10/2008 - 02:23

Thank you. I installed the CCM licensce now I have access to the GUI but since I already run the initialization once before I could not do it again. I was able to configure from the ClI ccn triggers and ccn subsystem and ccn triggers.

However from the GUI when I try to verify CCM I keep getting "Web login failed. Error while determinig CCM version-1 JTAPI login failed. Error while determining CCM version -1."

Does it mean that I have to put a new image?

cheng.cathy Mon, 01/07/2008 - 20:20

Hi Tony,

I got a NM-CUE which is intergrated with CCM4.2. The callmanager server is sitting at our main office and the CUE is stting at a remote office.Have problems when making a call externally , can hear the greeting message the the voice message has been taken but nothing is in the mail box. Internal call(from IP phone to IP phone) to the voice mail box works fine.The CUE version is 2.3

appreciate ur comments

Tony Huynh Tue, 01/08/2008 - 07:03

Hi,

Can you draw out the call flow when there is no audio? It sounds like whenever the call is over the WAN to CUE, there is no audio. Is this correct?

choomengchiang Tue, 01/08/2008 - 05:46

Dear Tony,

I have 2 Cisco routers 2801 model. One on local, and the other on remote connected via V.35 as the main link with encapsulation frame-relay. I have on each router, 3 other serial interfaces for X.25, RS232 and V.35, all for voice and data.

Question:

1. Do I have to configure all the 3 interfaces to frame-relay encapsulation for it to work? When do I use VoIP or VoIPovFR?

2. Is the signal synchronized throughout, meaning, from an interface of the remote router right through to the other interfaces of the local router?

3. If I disconnect my voice equipment on the remote site, will I be able to detect it on the local router?

4. Are the status of the link of each interfaces of a router dependent on one another?

Hope you can help answer my questions. Thank you.

David Choo

Tony Huynh Tue, 01/08/2008 - 07:07

Hi David,

It is preferable to use VoIP as it has more mechanisms for CAC, qos, etc. I'm not sure I under your second question, but as long as there is IP connectivity, you can use any of the VoIP signaling protocols to make calls across an IP network. If the equipment disconnects at the remote site, your local router will obviously not be able to reach it via IP, thus calls will fail. You can create multiple dial-peers to re-route the call to another router or the PSTN. If it is a point to point connect, the status of the link on each device will be dependent on the other router.

Regards,

Tony

alubenow Tue, 01/08/2008 - 11:23

Is it possible to assign a COR to a phone for Call Forward All with CME? Similar to Assigning a CSS to CFA with CCM.

Tony Huynh Tue, 01/08/2008 - 11:46

COR doesn't work with call-forward. As an alternative, you could use the max-length command under call-forward to limit the number of digits allowed if you enter it

on the phone (CFwdAll softkey).

Hi,

With the growth of our company, we now want to implement a Queue system for our call center. I know StoneVoice offers a GUI based solution for our Call Manager Express, which proves to us that queues are possible on this CME.

Do you have any guidance or examples of how we can script this to accomplish this ourselves instead of purchasing a 3rd party software? I have found nothing providing me any detail of anyone else who has done this before.

I did find that link and have read through that a few times. Unfortunantly I do not have the Cisco Unity Script Editor to play with.

We do currently have an ACD set up to direct between sales, marketing, and support.

The type of queue we are trying to accomplish is one where...

If the 3 sales people are all on calls, and a 4th person calls in, they are put into a "waiting" area. The 5th person to call in is put into the "waiting" area also. When a salesperson becomes free, person #4 is transferred to them. When the next is free, then #5 is transferred to them.

I did not see anything in that document partaining to this type of queueing system.

bschear Tue, 01/08/2008 - 19:39

I have a CME on a 2801 with IOS c2801-spservicesk9-mz.124-11.XJ4.bin with FXO ports connected to the PSTN.

First, I have some overlayed DNs that ring on some phones and then forward to overlayed DNs on some other extensions if no one answers. The caller id on these calls show forwarded from 250 which is the DN of the first overlay rather than the outside caller id. Is there a way to have the caller-id follow the original caller id displayed instead?

Next, on missed calls we want to be able to call directly from the missed calls. Since the system is setup to dial 9 to get out we can't just select the missed call to call the individual back.

Tony Huynh Tue, 01/08/2008 - 20:16

When you overlay the dns, are they the same extension numbers or different extension numbers. You can change the behavior of the caller-id on a forward by using command "calling-number initiator" under telephony-service.

wongcw0000 Tue, 01/08/2008 - 19:57

Hi there,

Just would like to ask a stupid question..

Properly our company has just purchased a UC 520 and we have just done a testing configuration on it,however,when we configured the system from PBX system to keysystem, and we found out that we cannot return to the previous state!After we have checked the offical documentation...It states that this option cannot be modified after the first time.

Is there any other way to do so that we can return the uc 520 to the original state?

Look forward for your helpful answer.Thanks!

Tony Huynh Tue, 01/08/2008 - 20:11

You can go to maintenance > reset to factory default in CCA config tool to reset the system to factory default.

wongcw0000 Tue, 01/08/2008 - 20:46

I tried to find the option you have metioned but properly i can't find it in the maintenance field.

I am thinking if this is because the version of CCA is too old (1.0) or the IOS verion is too old?

Thanks.

Tony Huynh Tue, 01/08/2008 - 20:54

The CCA version is too old. Newer version is due to be released later this month that will allow it. In the meantime, you can console or telnet into the UC520 and copy the default config file into startup and then reload the system.

gshinman Wed, 01/09/2008 - 08:32

We have quite a few CME's implemented and the biggest pain we have is the lack of CMR records similar to what the CM's have. The is no obvious way to get call quality data from the CME for reporting on. Also the 'show ephone' information shows very high latency on calls with (at least with Wifi phones) creating misleading information to determine MOS.

Tony Huynh Wed, 01/09/2008 - 13:12

Unfortunately, there is no way to get MOS scores for calls. We are currently discussing this feasibility of this feature. How important would you rank this on a scale of 1 - 5?

gshinman Thu, 01/10/2008 - 03:07

I'd rate it as a 5 in our case since we try to monitor / build reports around this.

cetciscoadmin Thu, 01/10/2008 - 20:52

We have been installing quite a few of the UC500 since they were available in Oct. with great success. We wanted to know if there was any documentation on the differences between setting the system up as a Key System Vs PBX. We have noticed that some features are not available if configured as a Key System.

cetciscoadmin Thu, 01/10/2008 - 21:36

Funny...maybe I didn't make the question very clear. We know what the differences between a Key System and PBX. What we would like to know is what features within the UC500 are lost when setting up the UC500 as a Key System. For instance we have noticed the "transfer" and "redial" software keys are inactive once configured as a Key System. What other features are unavailable if configured as a Key System?

Hopefully I made more sense with this question? Thanks for the quick reply.

Tony Huynh Thu, 01/10/2008 - 22:57

Hi,

I will check on the list of key differences between pbx and key system mode and get back to you.

Actions

This Discussion