cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

frame-relay design

CiscogeekIND
Level 1
Level 1

I am newby to frame-relay configuration. please help me to configure the attached design.

we are having the branch offices, and i want to design the frame-relay between them. Actually these are the dedicated lines between the branches.

I am attaching the diagram, where i dont have any frame-relay switch, i am having all 2811 routers.

Actually i am told to configure frame-relay between the offices.

7 Replies 7

shrikar.dange
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

can you tell the IOS version running on the routers?

For 12.2 mainlline IOS reffer this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080080fdc.html

It contains everything about frame relay.

IS there any specific reason to run FR?

I think you should be better of running P2P with dynamic protocols like OSPF, EIGRP

Narayan

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

As mentioned by Narayan, the best way would be to go with dynamic routing protocol. Let the protocol handle all the intelligent routing.

it should be frame-relay only. please help me out in configuring this.

ofcourse along with the frame relay i use RIP protocol.

With your topology you will have to run a lot of routers as FR switch

eg config between branch1 and branch2.

branch2 is frame relay switch

branch1 router

interface serial 0/0

ip add 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

encap frame-relay

frame-relay lmi-tyi ansi

frame-relay interface-dlci 100

no shut

On branch2

frame-relay switching

interface serial 0/0

ip add 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.252

encap frame-relay

frame-relay lmi-tyi ansi

frame-relay intf-type dce

frame-relay interface-dlci 100

no shut

HTH

Narayan

Thanks for reply narayan,

There is some restrictions:

The frame-relay is to use IETF encapsulation and the LMI type is ANSI.

ARP is NOT to be used and frame relay mapping is to be employed.

To ensure flexibility in future configurations the Frame-Relay will employ different sub-interfaces and have different subnets.

Branch1 having network links to various branches in one network. The system consists of a number of Frame-Relay links to other branch sites throughout the world.

In order to minimise the number of links the Frame-Relay topology is to be a point to point partial mesh topology. The Branch1 site is to have a full mesh topology with branch-5 and branch-6 and a PVC to branches-5&6 via Branch2

With this policy i have made the configurations, please correct me if i am wrong.

I am attaching the config file. please look into this.

Please verify that your provider will continue to run frame relay. Some providers are doing away with it, like Sprint.

But even in the frame-relay world you still need some dynamic routing protocol running on the network, static will cause you too many headaches.

and do not run RIP, run at lease EIGRP

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card