Directing traffic to multiple remote sites out a fastethernet port

Unanswered Question
Jan 2nd, 2008

I have a 2851 with four fastethernet ports and I would like to direct traffic to multiple remote sites out one fastethernet port.

What I want to do is like using subinterfaces in the serial interface world only using an Ethernet port.

Can it be done?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Hi Gary

Yes, it can be done with no problems. Sub interfaces can be configured on Fast Ethernet ports also. This is like a router on a stick configuration.

The way I would achieve this is to purchase a switch and connect the 2851 to the switch via a trunk link. Create sub interfaces on the router for each remote site. Each sub interface would have the default gateway IP address for the remote site. I would then uplink the remote sites to this switch also via trunk links.

If your 2851 supports Gigabit Ethernet this would probably be a better option, depending on the size of the remote sites and the amount of traffic coming back to the router. You might also consider using a Gigabit switch so that your core is Gigabit Ethernet with Fast Ethernet at your access layer.

Just my 2c worth.

Best Regards & Best Wishes for 2008 and beyond,

garyrivers Wed, 01/02/2008 - 12:34

thanks for getting back....

I followed what you're suggesting and i think we're on the same page.

I've attached a drawing to clarify what i'm trying to do.

traffic pattern will go from the corp rtr to the mux and the mux controls where the traffic goes from either site 1 or 2 or where ever.

garyrivers Wed, 01/02/2008 - 14:22

that's okay, at least you pointed me in the right direction.

This Discussion