cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Directing traffic to multiple remote sites out a fastethernet port

garyrivers
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2851 with four fastethernet ports and I would like to direct traffic to multiple remote sites out one fastethernet port.

What I want to do is like using subinterfaces in the serial interface world only using an Ethernet port.

Can it be done?

5 Replies 5

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Gary

Yes, it can be done with no problems. Sub interfaces can be configured on Fast Ethernet ports also. This is like a router on a stick configuration.

The way I would achieve this is to purchase a switch and connect the 2851 to the switch via a trunk link. Create sub interfaces on the router for each remote site. Each sub interface would have the default gateway IP address for the remote site. I would then uplink the remote sites to this switch also via trunk links.

If your 2851 supports Gigabit Ethernet this would probably be a better option, depending on the size of the remote sites and the amount of traffic coming back to the router. You might also consider using a Gigabit switch so that your core is Gigabit Ethernet with Fast Ethernet at your access layer.

Just my 2c worth.

Best Regards & Best Wishes for 2008 and beyond,

Michael

thanks for getting back....

I followed what you're suggesting and i think we're on the same page.

I've attached a drawing to clarify what i'm trying to do.

traffic pattern will go from the corp rtr to the mux and the mux controls where the traffic goes from there...to either site 1 or 2 or where ever.

Thoughts?

Gary

i guess it might help to actually attach the file.

Hi Gary

Unfortunately I have no experience with using MUX's so I cannot really comment.

Maybe one of the other more experienced members will have some useful input.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Best Regards,

Michael

that's okay, at least you pointed me in the right direction.

Gary

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card