Helpful
Replies

Upgrade/server migration

mamoss
Level 3
Level 3

Current system 4.0(4), Win2k, E2k.

VM Only.

The requirement is to upgrade to Unity 5 on a new server.

There seems to be a few methods of achieving this, but Dirt seems to be the most useful because all data is recreated....I think.

On the new server, assuming I can only restore into an identical version of Unity, then upgrade, I've a few questions:

1) Can the new server have 4.0(4), Win2003, Exch2003 and the Dirt restore still work?

2) How is licensing done on the new server for the interim 4.0(4) restore? At this stage it won't have a new license because that will be for version 5. Will the Dirt restore actually work in this scenario?

3) Any gotchas or key points to watch out for?

Many thanks.

1 Reply 1

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DiRT does not care about the Windows or Exchange version - it doesn't need to. If Unity is up and running and you can create new users via the SA and you can leave/retrieve messages and all is working properly on the new install, then DiRT restore should nto have a problem. The vast majority of the cases that are escallated as "DiRT problems" have to do with the new installation not flying %100 before someone pulls the trigger on the restore. DiRT uses Unity functions to create/update objects and users so that stuff needs to be working completely.

I can't speak with authority on 4.0(4) working properly with Exchange 2003 - haven't done that. Assuming that flies right you should be fine.

The 4.0(4) demo license will work fine for the DiRT restore - Unity will allow you to run for a while with the demo license even though after the restore you're going to be out of compliance - it'll stop working eventually and the SA will bark at you if you try to add more users or the like but since you're upgrading to 5.0 and have a valid license for that, it shouldn't be a problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: