cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade 2900XL (or how to trunk to switch with native vlan not 1)

pembrokeschool
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone advise me on the steps to upgrade the IOS on a 2900XL (with 8 mb RAM) using a .BIN file (not a .TAR).

OR

Since I'm inspired to try this because I can't get the v11 software on 2900 to create a useable trunk to a 2950. How can I configure a working trunk between these two switches using a native vlan of 11 on the 2950? I'm afraid the CLI commands for the earlier IOS release on the 2900XL don't make much sense to me.

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Note: native vlan must match on each side . Also decide which vlan you want the switch management ip to reside in and that vlan must be allowed across the trunks... Also upgrade the 2924 to 12.0 software before doing this . also as far as upgrading the file , get the new version of software , download a free tftpserver for your laptop , give the switch an ip address and give your laptop an address in the same ip address range. Delete the current .bin file in flash , there is only enough room for 1 image and tftp the new file into flash . Change your boot statement to point to this new image and do a copy run start or write mem command. Then do a show boot command and make sure it is pointing at the new image in flash . then reload the switch.

vlan database

vlan 11

exit

interface xxx

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 11

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 11

----------------------------------------------

vtp mode transparent

interface xxx

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 11

switchport trunk allowed vlan 11

Thanks. It was the upgrade path that I wanted to take, but I'm not sure how to do it using the IOS .bin file. The only instructions I can find on the cisco site involve using a .tar file (which I don't have). See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/release12.0_5_wc16/ol256212.html#wp700531

Basically it is just log into the switch do a delete flash: . Then do a copy tftp flash:, hit enter it will prompt you for the tftp server address then the filename (imagename.bin) and hit enter and it should run after that . If you use tftp it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes to download the file , once done set the boot statement and write mem the config. Don't worry about deleting all those html files that you have when you have a tar file .

some times you may need the squeeze command to remove completely the old file and obtain available memory in flash

Thanks everyone. With your assistance I have managed to upgrade my 2900XLs and get them slotted into the rest of the network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco