CCME and Cisco Unified communications express

Unanswered Question
Jan 3rd, 2008
User Badges:

Anybody can explain me which are the differences between CCME and CUCE?

I have a customer that need 60 extensions and wants to use SIP not SCCP.

Is there any disadvantage if I use SIP? Can I register any vendor IP phone in the cisco SIP router?

regards

Overall Rating: 3 (2 ratings)
paolo bevilacqua Thu, 01/03/2008 - 02:56
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Yes, you can use SIP phone with CCME, but the overall functionality will not good. Basically, cisco does not officially support non-cisco phones with CME. You will not have, or will have trouble enabling any feature like dual-line, call transfer, conference, etc.

I think the situation is not much different for CCM. Once something doesn't work with a non-cisco phones, you have no support from from Cisco.

I suggest you show him how the cisco phone works nicely in SCCP, with directories, etc.

sarenos2006 Thu, 01/03/2008 - 03:03
User Badges:

But if I use cisco IP phones with SIP I haven't pay for the CCME license.

Will we have problems too? in call transfer, dual-line etc... if I'm using Cisco IP phones but using SIP?

paolo bevilacqua Thu, 01/03/2008 - 03:46
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hi,

I personally find the SIP mode with CCME to be inferior and more complicated to use than SCCP.

mnasser78 Wed, 01/16/2008 - 12:02
User Badges:

As I know; Yes you can run SIP phones on CME, I didn't try it, but details are presented in document:

Cisco Unified Communications Manager

Express System Administrator Guide

which clearly tells that u can use IP Phones running SIP if ur CME 3.4 or later, u shall use "Voice register dn" instead of "ephone-dn", and "Voice register pool" instead of "ephone".

If u go for SIP, and it works, please let me know

Regards

Actions

This Discussion