cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues with 2106 and 1130AG LWAPP

jeff.velten
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all. I'm trying to do what I thought would be a simple config. 2 APs connected directly to a controller. The controller's 2 management interfaces are in our management VLAN (used for all switches, servers, etc), and I created a new VLAN for the APs and clients per this link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008073c723.shtml. However, I am unable to get the APs to join the controller. Controller was NIB before I configured, and the APs are also NIB with the default config.

24 Replies 24

douhanm
Level 1
Level 1

have you set the time correctly on the controller? if the time is not correct your AP's will fail to register

Also you need to make sure the controller and AP are the same radio domain

If all else fails turn on lwapp debugging to see what the problem is

Thanks for the response. I did set the time after reading a thread here about the certificate issue.

So the radio domain will prevent a connection even if the AP is directly attached to the controller?

Make sure you LWAPP Transport mode is set to Layer 2 and your WLAN are admin enabled. Also, make sure the interface name under WLAN is pointing to the AP VLAN you created.

According to the config guide, Layer 2 is not supported on a 2100 series controller. This seems to be correct as the only option I have in the GUI is Layer 3.

I do have the WLAN admin enabled, and the interface the AP is connected to is in the AP VLAN.

Jeff, my mistake I'm using a 4400 WLC. Are your management and ap-mangement interfaces in the same VLAN?

Yes, I have both management interfaces in a management VLAN that we use to administer switches and other network hardware.

SHANNON WYATT
Level 1
Level 1

Have you configured either the DHCP option of the DNS option for the APs to find the controller? Also try hard coding the ip address of the management inface on the access point. If you set the DHCP and DNS, make sure you are using the management IP, not ap manager.

I'm trying to use the WLC's internal DHCP server. I've also tried hardcoding the WLC IP address on the AP. After reading through pretty much all of the configuration examples, I'm getting the impression that connecting the APs directly to the WLC is not supported. All of the config examples I read show the WLC and AP(s) connected via a router or switch.

If direct connection is supported, what do you use for a default gateway on the WLC's dynamic interface?

Direct connect to the 2106 is supported. I think that you have your interface configured incorrectly. As far as the gateway, that would be the gateway for the VLAN. If you are using direct connect you configure the interface for the same VLAN as management on that port.

I see. So with direct connect, you can't have the dynamic interface in a different VLAN? That may be the issue (or at least part of it), as that's what I'm trying to do.

Yes, the dynamic interface would by definition be in a different VLAN. You may want to simplify the config as it sounds like there is a issue with the config. If you configure a dynamic interface you have to have something to route said interface as the controller is only a layer 2 device (no VLAN routing).

I believe swyatt is correct. With my 4400 WLC, I have my WLC trunked to a external switch with ip routing enabled. I have all my static and dynamic vlans defined on the switch. I was lead to believe that 2106 had a built in switch, but it does not.

Here's an example of my switch config:

vlan 150

name LWAPP

!

vlan 152

name WUSER

(management and ap-management static vlan)

interface Vlan150

description "LWAPP"

ip address 10.32.150.1 255.255.255.248

no ip redirects

!

(dynamic vlan)

interface Vlan152

description "Wireless Users"

ip address 10.32.152.1 255.255.255.0

no ip redirects

Put your AP's on the same vlan as the management ip on the WLC's. Make sure the ap can get a dhcp address or manually set one. This is just temporary....

If the ap's join then move them to the other vlan you created but make sure you have routing configured correctly for connectiviy back to the WLC subnet.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Well, as often happens, I had to put this one on the shelf for a bit as other projects cropped up. I've made a bit of progress. I was able to get an AP to join the controller by putting it in the management VLAN temporarily, then assigning it a new address from the WLC.

The issue I'm running into now is that wireless clients can connect to the AP, but are unable to pull an address from the 2106's DHCP server. Config attached.

I have the WLC attached to a trunk port, and the AP on a port configured for my guest VLAN (151). I've added a 2nd inside port on my firewall, also in the 151 VLAN, and my plan is to route those wireless users directly to the firewall.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: