cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory usage after upgrade to 8.03

chris.harwell
Level 1
Level 1

After the upgrade from 7.2.3 on the ASA to 8.0.3 our memory usage went from 80-85MB to 350MB. Cisco says it's is ok. Anyone else seeing this?

6 Replies 6

MMazuhelli_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I upgraded our ASA5540 yesterday and found the same thing: used memory went from 500-600 megs to 880 (of 1024). I turnd off the threat-detection statistics that I had turned on and saved about 100 megs (down to 775). I am concerned that we could run out of memory.

This is on a busy university network with lots of connections!

Regards,

Marc.

Thanks Marc for the insight!

Are you using the new dashboard stats as well? I was going to turn those off and see what happened.

Thanks again!

Chris Harwell

Hi Chris,

The "threat-detection" statistics that I turned off are used for the right part of the new firewall dashboard.

The "top 10 access rules" graph at the top needs the following stats:

threat-detection statistics access-list

The "top 10 services", "top 10 sources" and "top 10 destinations" need the following stats:

threat-detection statistics port

threat-detection statistics protocol

threat-detection statistics host

(it's easy to determine this with the "preview commands before sending them to the device" option turned on in tools->preferences).

These are the stats that I initially turned on; turning them off (no threat-detection ...) saved us about 100 megs of memory.

As for the left part of the dashboard (connection stats, dropped packet rates and possible scan and SYN attack rates), I still have these graphs, I don't think anything has to be turned on to collect these stats (so nothing can be turned off to save some more memory).

It's a bit of a shame to have to turn off nice features because they take too much memory... ;-(

Regards,

Marc.

AHHH, I didn't realize what I was looking at. I enable those from the dashboard not realizing thats the same config under Config/Firewall/ThreatDetection. I turned mine off and only saved about 5%.

Chris

Hello,

I want to correct my own posting. I wrote:

>As for the left part of the dashboard (connection stats, dropped packet rates

>and possible scan and SYN attack rates), I still have these graphs, I don't think

>anything has to be turned on to collect these stats (so nothing can be turned off

>to save some more memory).

This is only partially true. The two bottom graphs ("dropped packet rates" and "possible scan and SYN attack rates") need the following command to work: "threat-detection basic-threat".

But the second part of what I wrote ("nothing can be turned off to save memory") seems to be true I have found that even if I turn off basic threat detection ("no threat-detection basic-threat"), I save absolutely no memory!

Regards,

Marc.

Hey Marc,

No problem. I actually saved 5% turning that off but we are no were near your usage. The "concern" was actually another problem that has since been fixed and I may actually turn it back on. Even with it on I think I'm still under 40% on the CPU. Thanks again for the feedback. It's always interesting to see how other people's "mileage vary".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: