Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mulithomed internet BGP question

Hello,

I have two DS3 connections with two diffrent Service providers. Each with thier own CPE router. Now I want traffice to flow equally accross both routers so I will for not just adversite with no prepending. My Question is the return traffic. If client makes a connection from the internet and is routed though Service provider 1 and then hits the firewall how does the firewall know which conntection to send the return traffic?

2 Replies 2

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

The firewall will route the traffic based on its routing table for the source which could be via SP2.

On the internet its possible that a packet gets routed asymmetrically

Narayan

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The firewall will always use the configured default gateway. The default gateway could be your first router or second router - depends on how you configure it (i.e. HSRP and which one is active).

Then the router will make decision by using the following BGP routing algorithm in this link http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/25.shtml

Regards,

Dandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card