cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Manager upgrade from 4.1(3) to 6.0(1)

UCBNOCWAN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are upgrading CCM 4.1(3) to 6.0(1).

Currently we are running only one Publisher server 4.1(3) with no failover ( Subscriber) configured.

The new config will have 2 servers - one Publisher & another Subscriber. Both the servers will be new hardware, i.ee we are de-commisioning our current hardware box which runs CCM 4.1(3).

So the process will be something like this - Step 1 - > backup 4.1(3) data using DMA.

Step 2 -> Run CUCM 6.0 installation DVD on the new server, format it, then import the DMA data when prompted. The publisher has to be built first.

Step 3-> build the subscriber. it's here that I am a bit confused What's the exact procedure ?

Also, is running Upgrade Assistant required since we are discarding our current hardware box?

Please help..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Abhijit,

No worries, we want to get this right :) The document that you are probably looking at is a reference for replacing an existing 6.x server. I'm not sure this is the proper way to be looking at this. I've also been thinking about your planned method for doing this upgrade and want you to look at the method outlined by great NetPro Shanky in this post (note that his references to 5.x will carry forward for you)

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1de01cb0/0#selected_message

This seems like the most safe and "fool-proof" way to go. This would be the way that I would go for sure!

Have a look,

Rob

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Abhijit,

Happy New Year my friend! You are certainly on the right track here. Here is the info regarding Step 3 (Subscriber);

Upgrading Subsequent Nodes in the Cluster

To upgrade a subsequent node in the cluster, you must first install the new operating system and the new Cisco Unified Communications Manager application on the first node and then configure the subsequent node on the first node by using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.

On a subsequent node, you can either install the software version on the disc or retrieve a more recent service release from a remote server. The subsequent nodes will retrieve data from the first node at the end of the installation.

To upgrade a subsequent node in the cluster from Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.x to Cisco Unified Communications Manager release 6.0(1) or later, perform the following steps:

1. Upgrade the first node, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.x publisher server, to Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.0(1) or later.

2. Using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration on the first node, configure the subsequent nodes.

3. Ensure that the subsequent nodes have network connectivity to the first node.

4. Install the new operating system and Cisco Unified Communications Manager application from a DVD.

5. If required, upgrade the software to a later service release.

6. Configure the Cisco Unified Communications Operating System and Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note You must complete a successful migration of data on the first node prior to upgrading the subsequent nodes in the cluster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caution Before beginning this procedure, ensure you have already upgraded the Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.x publisher server, configured the subsequent node on the Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.0(1) first node, and have network connectivity to the first node. Failure to meet these conditions can cause the installation to fail.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/6_0_1/upgrd601.html#wp44990

Hope this helps!

Rob

PS: As you noted the Upgrade Assistant won't be required!

thanks a ton Rob, wish you a very happy properous 2008. Hope you enjoyed Christmas & New Year vacation.

Actually I have never performed an upgrade to CCM 6 even in a lab. That's why I am beset with so many doubts.. I hope there is an option in CCM 6 ( like in 3x & 4x) which allows us to specify whether the server will be a pub or sub. Once the publisher is up with the DMA migrated data, I guess it should be only a matter of database replication between the pub & sub ( after CCM 6 DVD is run on the sub).

one more question - I am planning to use an FTP server, now the upgrade document says the FTP server must support bin, get, cd & dir commands. I checked in dos prompt in our current server, bin & get commands are not supported. Guess we have to use a different server. Is any particular type of FTP server required?

Thanks & have a nice weekend..

Regards,

Abhijit Das.

Hi Abhijit,

Thanks buddy!

The Publisher is now also referred to as the "First Node" or "Primary Node" and is configured first;

1. Upgrade the first node, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.x publisher server, to Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.0(1) or later.

2. Using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration on the first node, configure the subsequent nodes.

3. Ensure that the subsequent nodes have network connectivity to the first node.

***The subsequent nodes will retrieve data from the first node at the end of the installation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/6_0_1/upgrd601.html#wp46984

The one that I have seen recommended the most on these forums is freeftp;

FreeFTP

http://freeftp.com/

Hope this helps!

Rob

thanks Rob, this helps a lot.

Regards,

Abhijit Das.

Hi Rob,

Just when you thought I was done with my endless queries, I have another one!!

I was going through a document titled "server replacement". It says that we have to take the old ( current) server offline while doing the upgrade. The new server must be fed a live network since all network settings have to be replicated to the new server.

That means that our current server running 4.1(3) has to be disconnected & the new hardware box connected & built to 6.0 from scratch ( DMA data also has to be migrated when prompted, " Upgrade from Windows version" has to be selected.. All the while, the new server will be on the live network.)

If my understanding is correct, we can't connect the new server to a dummy network while doing the upgrade, it must be a part of the live setup at all times.

I think that just in case something goes wrong with the new 6.0 server, we can always revert back to the old 4x server.

Just wanted to confirm this from you. Have a great Sunday!!

Regards,

Abhijit.

Hi Abhijit,

No worries, we want to get this right :) The document that you are probably looking at is a reference for replacing an existing 6.x server. I'm not sure this is the proper way to be looking at this. I've also been thinking about your planned method for doing this upgrade and want you to look at the method outlined by great NetPro Shanky in this post (note that his references to 5.x will carry forward for you)

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1de01cb0/0#selected_message

This seems like the most safe and "fool-proof" way to go. This would be the way that I would go for sure!

Have a look,

Rob

Hi Rob,

You replied even on a Sunday. You never need any rest , do you? :-) Thanks for this invaulable input. I will try out this method.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Abhijit Das.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: