cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP ON CISCO ROUTERS?

Charlie Mayes
Level 1
Level 1

Does all Cisco routers include DHCP functionality? I was using Cisco Packet Tracer and performed this command service ? and didn't see anything about DHCP. Weird?

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Can you please update the router platform you are having and the release which that router is running?

Regards,

Ankur

Right now I am performing this function on a Cisco simulator and have not yet tried the command on my Cisco 2620's. May be that is the issue. I just read in a Cisco Book that all Cisco Routers come with the DHCP function by default and you can enable it or not on any router. So was just wondering if it was not working because I am using a simulator instead of a traditional router. The service DHCP command is not available in my simulator.

Hi Friend,

That could be an issue. This command was first introduced in 12.0(1)T release and even small router platforms also support DHCP server confguration.

Regards,

Ankur

Thanks for your help. I will try it on m router rather than my simulator and see what happens. Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card