cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to button reset 857W

hemuli666
Level 1
Level 1

I uploaded a bad config file by mistake to the 857W and got locked out. I resetted the device by pressing the reset button and proceeded to upload SDM Express 2.5 and Wireless Application into flash memory.

The installation took a long time to copy the files to router and finally ended in an error "Unable to load wireless application" and after this I have been unable to connect to the device using LAN. The same SDM setup went smoothly when I did it earlier today.

When I try to perform a reset by pressing the reset button within 5 seconds of startup, nothing happens. I still can't connect. When I boot it, all the lights are on for a few seconds, then they go off except for the OK and LAN3 lights, and after about 3 more seconds the OK light also turns off. So apparently everything is not OK.

How can I reset the device? Do I need use the serial cable and telnet? I don't understand how I have been able to reset the device before but not this time.

1 Reply 1

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

To set the router back to its factory defaults, you can either use Cisco SDM or you can go into the Cisco IOS Software CLI and do a "write erase" on the router itself, or grab the factory default configuration from Cisco Configuration Express. In addition, when the reset button is pressed within 5 seconds of the boot up and there is a valid xxx.cfg file in the flash, the router boots up with the xxx.cfg file and avoids the startup-config file in NVRAM.