cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to button reset 857W

hemuli666
Level 1
Level 1

I uploaded a bad config file by mistake to the 857W and got locked out. I resetted the device by pressing the reset button and proceeded to upload SDM Express 2.5 and Wireless Application into flash memory.

The installation took a long time to copy the files to router and finally ended in an error "Unable to load wireless application" and after this I have been unable to connect to the device using LAN. The same SDM setup went smoothly when I did it earlier today.

When I try to perform a reset by pressing the reset button within 5 seconds of startup, nothing happens. I still can't connect. When I boot it, all the lights are on for a few seconds, then they go off except for the OK and LAN3 lights, and after about 3 more seconds the OK light also turns off. So apparently everything is not OK.

How can I reset the device? Do I need use the serial cable and telnet? I don't understand how I have been able to reset the device before but not this time.

1 Reply 1

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

To set the router back to its factory defaults, you can either use Cisco SDM or you can go into the Cisco IOS Software CLI and do a "write erase" on the router itself, or grab the factory default configuration from Cisco Configuration Express. In addition, when the reset button is pressed within 5 seconds of the boot up and there is a valid xxx.cfg file in the flash, the router boots up with the xxx.cfg file and avoids the startup-config file in NVRAM.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: