cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inventorying Hardware

yuchenglai
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of gathering the system serial numbers all of our switches as well as the serial numbers of all of the GBICs in those switches.

CiscoWorks is able to provide the serial numbers of only the Master Switch in each switch stack and not the serial numbers of the member switches.

The only other obvious alternative is to log in to each switch stack and do a "show inventory" to obtain the serial numbers of the member switches in each switch stack.

I, then, figured out that an easier way to do it would be to use an SNMP tool to "get" the serial numbers of all switches in a switch stack without having to log in to each and every switch stack.

The SNMP tool I used to do this is IPSwitch's WS_Ping ProPack. Through specifying the IP address, the SNMP community string, and the Object Identifier for system serial numbers (1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.11; entPhysicalSerialNum), I was able to "get" the system serial numbers of all switches in a switch stack without having to log in to each and every switch stack.

I also noticed that when I did a "get-bulk" request, I noticed a pattern. The following is an example:

1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.11.1001=CAT0828N3ZQ --> system serial of first switch

1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.11.2001=CAT0828N21Y --> system serial of second switch

1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1.1.1.1.11.3001=CAT0931N336 --> system serial of third switch

Using IPSwitch's WS_Ping ProPack was much better than logging into every switch stack and then doing the "sh inventory" command. Even though I did not have to log into the each and every switch stack, WS_Ping ProPack still appears to be limited in that it only allowed me specify only one IP address at a time to "get" the system serial numbers of switch stacks. I am wondering if there exists a tool that would allow me to specify a range of network address and "get" the system serial numbers of all switches in all switch stacks that fall in my specified IP address range.

Any input or insight would be great appreciated!

7 Replies 7

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can login to any switch in the stack and the console will always be the master.

Execute "show inventory". It will give you the product/serial number of all switches from master to member/s of the stack including their SFP module/s.

You can also try this command "remote command all show inventory". But the output of this command will first give you the first switch "Switch 1 (Master)" which includes all switches from master to member/s of the stack including their SFP module/s, then it will give you the member/s.

Trust me, I have plenty of stack 3750/3750-e switches.

Regards,

Dandy

Dandy,

Are you saying that by executing this command on a 3750 that is part of a stack, I will be able to obtain all system serial numbers and all SFP module/s numbers from all switch stacks in all of my communication closets in my entire 8 floor building?

David

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You could script the command line tools fro net-snmp (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net) to do this. However, CiscoWorks will provide these serial numbers. Check the Detailed Device Report for this stack, and you should see the serial number of each member in the Chassis Information section.

Joe,

The CiscoWorks method provided me with the system serial number of only the Master Switch of the stack and left out those of the member switches. Could this have something to do with the version of CiscoWorks I'm using or how it was installed and configured? I will take a look at the command line tools.

David

What version of CiscoWorks are you using? Please post a screenshot of your DDR for this stack.

Joe,

It looks like I'm using CiscoWorks2000.

This is a very old version, and you will need to upgrade to LMS 2.6 or 3.0 to get this support. Be aware that depending on the specific version of CiscoWorks, you may already be end of support. If this is LMS 2.2, end of support is coming at the end of July this year.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: