cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS configuration at customer end

itindia
Level 1
Level 1

Can somebody let me know how to configure mpls.

Command line especially at client side.

I did it some a year back but forgot what all is required like encapsulation etc.

Reg,

Sushil

7 Replies 7

waleed_amer
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sushil,

sorry but why do u need to configure mpls at customer router?, could u clarify it?

Reg,

W.Amer

mheusing
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

In most scenarios there is no need for MPLS at the CE device. Whether you have L3VPN service or EoMPLS or VPLS service provided to a customer the MPLS part is solely done in the SP network and invisible to the CE. So f.e. in a L3VPN the SP network looks like an IP router to the CE side. Thus you need only standard IP routing configuration in CE routers and no MPLS related commands.

The exception would be f.e. Carrier of Carriers, where the client is using MPLS in their core and you have MPLS related configuration between PE and CE.

So most of the time you will not need any MPLS capable device at the customer site, as MPLS is transparent to the customer. With respect to routing setup you need to get in contact with the provider to understand the requirements from the available options. The SP will give you the required information to setup the CE device properly.

Hope this helps! Please use the rating system.

Regards, Martin

Thanks Gentlemen for your infromation.

Would like to know configuration as per follwoing details.

CPE:84.0.19.1/30

MAIPU:84.0.19.2/30

PE: 84.0.19.6/30

MAIPU: 84.0.19.5/30

LAN IP: 192.168.1.0/24

How should I configure my serial interface and get it routed thorugh ISP.I am new MPLS kindly send me the configuration related to above.What is MAIPU stands for?

I will get these details for rest of my 6 locations.

Reg,

Sushil

Hi Sushil,

MAIPU is a vendor: http://www.maipu.com/

As Martin stated earlier no special configuration is required on the customer side, in general just serial ip, LAN IP and either a routing protocol or a default route towards the provider router, and a static route on the provider router for your LAN.

Can you elaborate more on the solution that you have contracted with your provider.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks,

Here I just want to route as per above config.

Do let me know where should I route my traffic as per above said config to my MAIPU or to PE.

On ethernet:

Int eterhnet0/0 Ip address192.168.1.0/24

On Serial:

Int Serial0/1 IP Address 84.0.19.1/30

Now the routing part:

IP Classless

IP Route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 84.0.14.6

IP Route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 84.0.14.6

Here Should I route to CPE MAIPU or PE IP.

Getting little confused here as where and how to use?

Regards,

Sushil

Hi Sushil,

First of all the "ip route 192.168.1.0" is required on your provider side not on your side (to route back the traffic to your LAN).

As i told you MAIPU is a network hardware vendor, you need to check up with your provider what does it mean in your setup for us to help you further.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi

Please remove the "ip route 192.168.x.x " otherwise it will loop between the SP and CPE just add only the default route pointing to the PE or SP ,ask your SP to add a route for your LAN Segments, Please clarify what kind of service you are getting from SP , if it is an MPLS VPN , ask them to add a VRF route as per your routing context

P V Senthil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: