Passing RIP from Cisco PIX to Cisco Catalyst

Unanswered Question
Jan 5th, 2008

I'm trying to pass routes learned from RIP on an external NIC on my PIX through to my internal network, but to also filter those routes that are passed through on an address by address basis.

For example, on the outside of my network, I have a vendor who passed RIP through and distributes all routes relevant to me. I set up the NIC on the PIX for version 2 RIP with passive and broadcast and I see them all coming in - Lovely!!

I have enabled RIP on the internat Catalyst (with a network connected to the PIX) and can see all internal networks on the PIX as well as the vendor routes.

What I can't see is the vendor routes on the internal network. I hope this makes sense.

Once I've worked out passing the routes internally, I want to work out how to filter them (access-list's I'm assuming...)

Thanks in advance...

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jon Marshall Sat, 01/05/2008 - 08:40

Which version of pix software are you running. Active RIP participation by a pix was introduced in version 7.2(1) and here is a link to configuring it

Prior to that release the pix can only particpate passively with RIP. It can however send out a default-route into RIP which may or may not fit your requirements ie. would a default-route on the Catalyst pointing to the pix help ?

This Discussion