Views
Helpful
Replies

1242 Outdoor Access Point Range and Coverage

shaikk.mydeen
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Member,

I am using 1242AG as outdoor access point for my design, i have to cover all the building with outdoor access point,I am in need of help to find the distance covered by an 1242AG Outdoor AP. As 1242AG can be used as Bridge and AP. SO i need estimate no of AP required for certain length of area. Please post your reply

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

There are too many variables to give you any kind of an idea.

Which antennas are you using?

How high are they?

Where they located, relative to the rooftop (i.e., the area close to the building is likely to be "shadowed" by the edge of the building ... think of it as if it were light)

How much / what kind of cabling, how many connectors, average humidity, trees? ...

And even if you answer all those questions, we still can't give you a number, because the other half of the equation is the client, the radios the client is using, the antennas the client is using, what is the acceptable throughput for the application, how sensitive is it to interference, what interference is in the neighborhood ...

There is no rule of thumb, there is no way (short of some very expensive software models) to predict the coverage ... use a dartboard with numbers from 6-50 (meters), it'll be at least as accurate.

You need to do a survey, or have a survey done. That's the only way.

Before you do a survey, you need to know what the application needs are, minimum throughput, how many users (max) for any given zone within the area, the protocol mix (802.11a, g, b, mixed?) ... and lots more.

Call someone, have a survey done. Otherwise, you're in for lots wasted money and days-to-weeks of serious frustration and complaining users. Reputation is very hard to earn back once you've lost it.

Good Luck

Scott

thanks sir for kind response, Actullay i am looking a for a rough figure in order to proceed with my design , during installation it will be purley based on the site calamties and as you explained in above.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card