simple question...

Unanswered Question
Jan 5th, 2008

Hello there...

I'm doing Module 2 questions for CCNA:

and there is one question that i might don't know the answer... actualy there is too much answers :)

here is it:

9. Which three characteristics apply to a switch? (Choose three.)

A) uses a table of MAC addresses to determine the port to which the data is to be sent

B) connects LAN segments

C) reduces the number of collision domains

D) increases the number of collision domains

E) filters data before forwarding it to its destination on the network

Well, i choiced A,B,D and E but i can choice only 3. So i guess one is wrong but which one?

EDIT: Ok, I think it's E that's wrong...

There is no option for deleting the topic...

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
scottmac Sun, 01/06/2008 - 06:33

Just guessing myself, having not seen the content: I believe that "B" is actually pointing to a router, not a switch (as commonly expressed in "Cisco Terms").

When they first came out, switches WERE used to join LAN segments and reduce the size of the collision domains (more the function of a multi-port bridge, which is what a basic switch actually is).

When the technology became cheaper and more common (and full-duplex was realized) switches became the mechanism to inexpensively put each host on its own segment ("Private LAN").

Bottom line: I believe B is incorrect for the context of the question. Also note that the question specifically asks for three answers and you've given four.

Good Luck

confique07 Sun, 01/06/2008 - 15:56

Well the correct answers are A,B and D...

but there is more stupid questions that i've found...

6. What are three characteristics of a bridge? (Choose three.)

A) Bridges forward but do not filter data frames between LAN segments.

B) Bridges maintain MAC address tables.

C) Bridges are more “intelligent” than hubs.

D) Bridges can buffer and forward frames between two or more LAN segments.

E) Bridges create fewer collision domains.

F) Bridges operate at Layer 2 of the OSI model.

The correct answers are: B,C and D.

but look at F? Bridges don't operate at Layer 2? :)

Well, at begin I thought i'm stupid but turns out i'm not that stupid :)

Those are questions of Module 2.

If someone could explain why 6th question F is wrong and why 9E is wrong it would be very helpful :)

P.S. Yes, i've checked those answers more then twice. Those questions and answers are same as in the book...

scottmac Sun, 01/06/2008 - 21:18

Bridges DO operate at layer two.

Hubs (i.e., multi-port repeaters) operate at Layer one

Switches (i.e., multi-port bridges) operate at layer two

Routers and "Layer Three Switches" (really just a special flavor of router)operate at layer three (and occasionally higher layers ala MLS

It's probably just a typo. Others have presented conflicting info from the study guides.

The question's author might be a picky linguist ... "Bridges operate at layer 2 of the OSI Model" is not really a characteristic.

If that's the case, someone should give the question's author a whack upside the head, it's a really bad question.

Check the publisher sites for errata sheets and corrections.

Good Luck

This Discussion