cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Virtual Adapter and Vista

Tornatek1
Level 1
Level 1

I am running Vista for Business on my notebook and have installed VPN Client version 5.0.02.0090

Each time I try to connect to my network the VPN client times out and I get the message

Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client

Reason 442: Failed to enable Virtual Adapter

When I go to Device Manager and enable the VPN network adapter, it becomes disabled once I try to connect again.

I tried the softpedia.com/Tweak fix and it worked the first time I tried to connect, but once I disconnected the error came back again at subsequent tries.

This is pretty frustrating. Plse help. Thanx.

Tony

7 Replies 7

anjgupta1112
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've tried everything I've found on the web - from editing the registry with

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

(which results in ERROR 56)

as well as reinstalling and enabling/diagnosing the network.

I'm beyond frustrated and need this to work in order to remotely connect to my university.

anjali

Well, I am having the same problem and have been trying to fix it now for the last two days trying everything I can think of from uninstalling the latest Vista updates (which is the only thing that changed as far as I know between the VPN working normally and receiving this error).

From the amount of information that is out there, it appears to be a big problem for many people and our good friends here at Cisco are not responding.

The latest version of the VPN client I believe is 5.0.3.0530 which I installed. Although I am sometimes (after cleaning the registry of all references to Cisco and then re-installing the product) able to start the client... but then I get the 442 error.

The latest version, according to the release notes, is supposed to have fixed the error but obviously Cisco is running after the facts and not being pro-active or creating a solution that is stable and won't be affected by Vista upgrades. In any case, nothing is working for me either and I can't connect to my client's network to do work that has deadlines... I am screwed and lost two days of work already because of this.

Good work Cisco! Please address this issue!

hairhart3216
Level 1
Level 1

Have you had any success. I am having the same problem but I have windows xp.

thanks

holly

tomek0001
Level 4
Level 4

Working with TAC and using the AnyConnect client they said that this is a Microsoft Bug with the TCPipreg.sys file, which can cause problems with the IPSEc client.

Microsoft and Cisco are working on resolving it.

I had the same problems since I started using the client on my Vista laptop.

The only thing that resolved the problem was to reboot. After reboot I was able to reconnect. After a while the problem reappeared.

However, after I've upgraded to 5.0.03.0560 it seems to work fine.

So if You have this issue You should try that.

OK, I have come a little bit further with this problem. Some recent automatic updates by Windows Vista caused the client to stop working when it was working before.

I uninstalled all the updates (most were critical security patches which now leaves me vulnerable) and uninstalled the Cisco VPN client including scouring the Registry for anything remotely associated with the VPN such as any reference to 'CVPN' or 'Cisco'.

I then installed the latest VPN client (V 5.0.03.0560), and I DIDN'T reboot as it asked me too. The reason I thought this was a good idea is because after a reboot, the Network Connections are reset and re-assigned IPs which was, I started to think, part of the problem.

It Worked! I was able to start the client (that was already an achievement!) and, lo and behold, was able to connect without problems... I thought!

Now I have the following... when I connected to the VPN, I have limited access to the internet. Some sites are fine, others only load half-way and still others I can absolutely not connect to. The ones I can connect to load very very slow.

For now I have left it this way since I can (albeit handicapped) connect to the VPN so I have to keep connecting/disconnecting etc. It is still very frustrating.

However, I believe I know what the problem is, but I don't know how to solve it. If anyone here can use this information to take this one step further, we may get somewhere.

I believe it has to do with the TCP/IP settings where we now have both v4 and v6 running. I think the VPN is using one of these only, and when it is using it, it is not allowing any other traffic through it. I don't know how to solve this. I tried disabling one or the other in either Network Connection, but it either gives me no connection or limited connection.

The reason I think this is it is because some sites are loading/half loading when the VPN is connected... in other words, one of the TCP/IP protocals is open to the Internt traffic, the other is used by the VPN exclusively.

I tried looking for sharing and tunneling options in my VPN client and the Network Connections settings, but I can't find anything.

I am very hesitant to change any more settings since I do have a half-baked solution that at least allows me to meet the deadlines I have for my client.

Let's get this solved!

Problem:

Windows Vista + VpnClient = reason 442, locally adapter terminated

I tried everything, from upgrading vpnclient, reboot, interface diagnostic, add some keys to the registry, and other magicals receipts. But the only thing that work was disable the ICS service, and starts it manually when I needed it.

Good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: