Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP With Two AS

haarisalibaig
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a scenario where there are Three Routers Router A , B & C. Router A is configured in BGP AS 100 & Router B & C are configured in BGP AS 200. Router B & C are connected to Router A Directly. On the Router A I am getting the Routes of Router B & C but on Router B I am not getting the route for Router C ( WAN & LAN Network) & Vice Versa.

There is no direct connectivity between Router B & C.

Any thing further I have to configure?

Please check the Diagram attached for more concept & BGP Configurations.

Regards,

12 Replies 12

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi There

Can you post the output of the command "show ip bgp" from all three routers please.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Micheal,

Please find attached the running configurations of all the three sites & as well the output of Sh ip bgp / sh ip bgp summary / sh ip bgp neig / sh ip route.

*** Instead of BGP AS 100 65000 is used & instead of BGP AS 200 64522 is used.

Regards,

douhanm
Level 1
Level 1

WHat you are trying to do is impossible, you cannot have two routers without direct connectivty using the same AS number, as soon as the router sees its own AS in the PATH advertised from A it will disregard the route, for sites that are not interconnected you must use different AS numbers ( or get really complicated with AS override etc )

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Your problem is that an EBGP router will not by default accept a route advertisement with it's own AS in the AS PATH. So when B sends advert to A it adds it's AS number to the path. Then A adds it's own and sends to C. C rejects the packet because it sees it's own AS in it.

To get around this on B & C under the BGP config

neighbor "neighbor IP" allowas-in 1

This will allow B and C to accept routes that have 1 occurence of their own AS in it.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon,

thanks alot for your reply...

Is there a way that I dont do any further configurations on Router B & C. Instead should do something on the Router A to make this scenario work. Actually in our city we have a service provider who is doing the same & we are simulating that. The configuratios on B & C they provide are the same, but we are not aware of what they are configuring on Router A.

Regards,

Dont see how you can find B & C's routes in each other without configuring IBGP between these 2.

Hi,

If I have to configure IBGP it is simlpe without any efforts we can do it in minutes. As I mentioned this scenario is already working with our Service Provider.I am sure this will work, but definetly require high level technical expertise & understanding.

Regards,

Any one who has done this scenario???

Regards,

i think ur router A config might be configured with as-override option.

ie,at router A config would

neighbor as-override.

neigbor as-override

this will override the 200 in as path with value 100 as per ur example..check ur as path by sh ip bgp command.

If it show 100 100,then this option might be there..

Hi Arun,

First of all thanks for your reply.

The command you have given is not there (as-ovveride)

Router_A(config-router)#neighbor 192.168.1.2 a?

activate advertise-map advertisement-interval allowas-in

The above is the output from my Router_A.

Regards,

Hi,

It may be b'cas the cmd depends on ur IOS version.

For more info on this cmd

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0t/12_0t7/feature/guide/VPN_EN.html#wp1045899

arun :)

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Try creating IP GRE Tunnel between Router B & C through Router A. IP GRE Tunnel source and destination address can be achieved by static routing.

Once IP GRE Tunnel is up. Try running iBGP between Router B & C thru IP GRE Tunnel.

Regards,

Dandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: