Router 2507 Configuration

newnetman
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2507 router with the following from the sh ver

"1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

16 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 repeater port(s)

2 Serial network interface(s)"

Unfortunately it has only the 16 repeater ports without any ethernet port visibly seen.

Do i need to do anything to convert any of those repeater ports to an ethernet port?, because i have try the ports with an IP address aimed at ethernet segment but doesn't accept it.

yet ethernet still shows up in the show ip int brief but with address.

Please help if you are able.

Regards

Newnetman

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Ethernet on your 2507 has an AUI Ethernet. You can connect it to the expected RJ45 10BaseT by using an Ethernet transceiver.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

I am grateful for your response, unfortunately there is not any AUI Ethernet on the device.

All i have on it are:

16 ethernet repeater ports

2 Serial ports

1 Console

1 AUX port

There is nothing like AUI Ethernet on it or do you mean to say AUI port?.

Regards

From your original post the router has these interfaces:

"1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

16 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 repeater port(s)

2 Serial network interface(s)"

The 1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) is the AUI Ethernet interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Rick,

You are correct about the presented interfaces but what i am saying is the the !1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)" could not be distinguished or should i assumed that it was just software issue?, because the the 16 repeater interfaces, the 2 serials, console and the AUX could physical be seen but not any AUI.

Thanks

I would not assume that it is a software issue. It has been a long time since I have worked with a 2507 and my memory is not exact about it. But most of the 2500 routers had Ethernet interfaces with the AUI connector. Can you tell me whether there are any interfaces on the back of the router that are labeled Ethernet or are labeled AUI?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks a lot for your willingness to help.

The interfaces physically viewable are:

16 Ethernet repeater ports

2 Serials

1 Console and 1 AUX.There is nothing like AUI or any other interfaces about from the ones mentioned here.

Thanks

Well I have done some more research and I find this link which seems to indicate that the 2507 has 16 ports that act as an Ethernet hub but does not indicate that it has a regular (routed) Ethernet interface:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_data_sheet09186a0080092047.html

I have not been able so far to find anything that specifies how to configure it, but I am guessing from the context of what I am seeing that you configure Ethernet 0 with an IP address (and any other parameters that you think appropriate) as a virtual interface to provide routing for the virtual LAN that is created by the hub ports.

So plug a PC into one of the hub ports (and issue the hub 0 0 15 no shut to make sure that the ports are not shut down), configure an IP address on the PC, and configure an IP address on Ethernet 0 which is also configured as the default gateway for the PC plugged into a hub port.

Give it a try and let us know what happens.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card