Helpful
Replies

Speed issue

rohit.kulkarni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am using Cat 4510 core switch.

When I am connecting one of my server to Switch portand run Sh int g7/15;ouput shows 10 MB and if i connect that server cable to g7/18, sh int g7/18 output shows 1000 MB.

I tried to apply 1000m forcefully,still it taking 10 m.

Can anyone let me understand ,what could be the possible reason for this?

Thx

8 Replies 8

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you connecting from the same server and using the same cable on both switchports ?

Please post the output from typing

sh run int g7/15

and

sh run int g7/18

as well as

show int g7/15 and show int g7/18 while the server is connected.

Hi,

Thx for reply to all..

I am connectiving from same server and using the same cable.I am clearing here that g7/15 and 7/18 are on same switch.

sh run int g7/15

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 113 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet7/15

description MB

switchport access vlan 205

duplex full

spanning-tree portfast

end

sh run int g7/18

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 127 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet7/18

description IS

switchport access vlan 205

duplex full

spanning-tree portfast

end

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

try to force speed/duplex in both sides : server and switch

I have tried all the options.

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

if you have left your switchport settings as auto for duplex & speed, then you need to chk the server NIC's configuration.

By hardcoding the interface with desired settings, you should see what you configured.

Posting configs may be helpful.

I did the same exercise.

I bet the cable is bad.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What server? Unix/Windows?

Take note that though Cisco allowed us to force speed/duplex of GE interface (1000Mbps). Some server can't force the duplex of 1000Mbps to full-duplex.

If you think your server will not use up more t han 100Mbps bandwidth. It will be better to hardcode both server and switch too 100Mbps/Full-duplex than 1000Mbps/Auto.

Notably HP Unix servers. Some combination of NIC Vendor and Microsoft Windows have no option for 1000Mbps/Full-duplex.

Now, if you really want 1000Mbps. Make sure the ports (Switch and Server) are working fine and also the cable is in qood condition and for UTP it should be minimum Cat 5e. Also use traditional cable selection (i.e. use straight through cable instead of using Auto-MDIX). Then configure both ports (Switch and Server) to Auto/Auto.

This always works for me.

For additional info. Packeteer products with GE ports cannot force 1000Mbps/Full-duplex (only Auto/Auto if you really want 1000Mbps).

Regards,

Dandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: