trunk ports

Unanswered Question
Jan 7th, 2008

Hi all, is it possible for me tot plug my pc into a trunk port, and change the ip on the pc to match the ip of the vlan i choose ? will this work ?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
shrikar.dange Mon, 01/07/2008 - 02:22

If your nic card supports the trunking then you can do this.This will work if the nic card supports the trunking feature.



bmbreer Mon, 01/07/2008 - 05:22

On LANs trunking is done with either the ISL (Inter-Switch Link) or 802.1q protocols. The interface would need to support whatever trunking protocol that switch was using. Most PCs' NICs do not support trunking but you can buy NICs that do. They are typically used in servers which need to be connected to more than one vlan. The port the PC plugs into on the switch needs to configured as a access link if it doesn't have a NIC that supports trunking.


This Discussion