Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

T1 Controllers

Hopefully the answer to my problem will not be terribly obvious so as to make me look like a total newbie.

My company was 4 T1's between our corporate office and a branch office. On the corporate side is a Cisco 3640 and on the branch side is a Cisco 2620.

The 3640 has 4 T1 controllers but the 2620 only shows 2 when doing a "show controllers t1". My question is simply this:

If there are 4 controllers on one end, don't there have to be 4 on the other end? My fear is that the previous admin(s) never set our private lines up and we are not utilizing all of our T1's.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

Hopefully the answer to my problem will not be terribly obvious so as to make me look like a total newbie.

My company was 4 T1's between our corporate office and a branch office. On the corporate side is a Cisco 3640 and on the branch side is a Cisco 2620.

The 3640 has 4 T1 controllers but the 2620 only shows 2 when doing a "show controllers t1". My question is simply this:

If there are 4 controllers on one end, don't there have to be 4 on the other end? My fear is that the previous admin(s) never set our private lines up correctly and we are not utilizing all of our T1's.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Christopher

Thanks for posting the output of the routing table. It makes me more comfortable that all 4 of the serial links are being used. A dynamic routing protocol like OSPF is much more effective at this than static routes would be.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

Are you sure all the 4 T1's are supposed to be between the corporate office and a single branch? Or are there 2 of them going to one branch and the rest going to another branch? How many T1 ports does your branch 2620 have?

Also, note the state of the T1 controllers on the 3640. If they are up, then there should be some other router somewhere that cooperates with them.

Kind Regards,

M.

We only have one branch, so they should all terminate on that end. 4 T1's between the 3640 and the 2620. The "show controllers T1" on the 3640 yields 4 T1 controllers. The same command on the 2620 only yields 2. I just don't know enough about the controllers and T1's to know if they are channelized or bound somehow so that only 2 controllers are needed on the 2620 end.

Thanks again for any help or advice.

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

The 2 extra controller might have gone as a 2 serial links and not as controller on another end.Check and revert , we have same at office only the thing is that 1 controller is going to 20 locations with speed of 256 kbps

RATE THE POST IF USEFUL

Christopher

Several possibilities occur to me that might explain the number of controllers at the remote site:

- is it possible that the cards installed at the remote site support 2 serial links on each card so that only 2 are needed for 4 serial lines?

- is it possible that 2 of the links are connected to cards that supply the controller, and that the other 2 lines are connected to external CSU/DSUs and connect to serial ports on the router that do not have the controller on the router since it is using external CSU/DSU?

Posting the output of show diag (and possibly the output of show version) on the remote router might help to resolve this question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Once again... thanks for the help and patience. sh diag is for the branch 2620 is attached

Hi,

From the "show diag" you have a total of 5 x T1 ports fully manage CSU/DSU.

In NM Slot0 you have two WIC Slots. In WIC Slot 0 with 1 port WIC-1DSU-T1= and in WIC Slot 1 with 2 ports WIC/VIC-T1,DUAL=

In NM Slot1 you have two WIC Slots. In WIC Slot 0 with 1 port WIC-1DSU-T1= and in WIC Slot 1 with 1 port WIC-1DSU-T1=

Regards,

Dandy

Christopher

Thanks for posting the output of show diag. There seems to be some difference between what show diag is indicating and whatever else you have been looking at. Show diag shows this:

Slot 0:

WIC Slot 0: WIC-1DSU-T1=

WIC Slot 1: WIC/VIC-T1,DUAL= (T1 (2 port) WAN daughter card)

Slot 1:

WIC Slot 0: WIC-1DSU-T1=

WIC Slot 1: WIC-1DSU-T1=

So it looks to me like 4 controllers one of which is capable of supporting 2 serial interfaces.

Can you reconcile this with the other information that you are looking at?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Please see the attached output from the "show controllers t1" command issued on both routers. That is the part that is confusing me. I must admit my inexperience with WAN routing to date. To me ... the logical assumption would be there has to be the same number of T1 controllers on both ends.

From what you have pointed out above, each controller is/can be capable of supporting two T1's? Something like a NIC with dual ports?

Sorry ... attached is the mentioned file above.

Christopher

Thanks for the additional information. Even though the show diag indicates that there are 4 serial controllers in the remote router the show controller seems to indicate that only 2 of them are active.

Perhaps if you would post the output of show ip interface brief from both routers we might get some better insight into what is going on.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

The show ip interface brief output for both is attached. I see all the serial's up on both end. For some reason, it's not all comeing together for me as to "how" the t1's are configured.

I think controller are not configured properly.Can you get the output of controller configuration so that it can be checked.

I think only controller card t10/1 and 0/2 are configured

Very Strange Case!

Please see the output from "show run" for both routers attached, as it pertains to the serial interfaces and t1 controllers.

Thanks for your input and help. This is my first experience in these forums and it's more than I could have hoped for!

interface Serial1/0

ip address 10.1.102.2 255.255.255.0

ip load-sharing per-packet

ip route-cache flow

service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

service-policy output VidConf

!

interface Serial1/1

ip address 10.1.104.2 255.255.255.0

ip load-sharing per-packet

ip route-cache flow

service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

service-policy output VidConf

This are the remaining two T1 links for more details please go through

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps3129/products_tech_note09186a0080093d70.shtml

and to configure **Cisco Dual-Port T1/E1 Multiflex Voice/WAN Interface Card** you have to use the following configuration

controller T1 0/1

framing esf

linecode b8zs

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

!

controller T1 0/2

framing esf

linecode b8zs

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

For more details please go through:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1t/12_1t1/feature/guide/dtg703.html

Hope this helps , Thanks!

RATE USEFUL POST

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco