cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CallManager Upgrade

mikedurbin
Level 1
Level 1

All, I am up for a few CallManager upgrades. I am still somewhat new to IP Telephony, so I was wondering if someone could tell me how long a typical upgrade might take? Im upgrading from 4.0(2) to probably 4.1(3). Anyone have any ideas?

Also, If I am upgrading a cluster of 2 CallManagers, would I do the publisher first, reboot it, bring it back online, and then take down the subscriber and upgrade it?

Also, would I take them "offline" before upgrading them?

All, thanks for your patients with me and your time in answering.

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mike,

Here is some good reference material for an upgrade to CCM 4.1(3);

Upgrading a Cisco CallManager Cluster

The Rules of the Cisco CallManager Upgrade

Follow these rules when you upgrade Cisco CallManager:

Always upgrade the publisher and standalone TFTP server (if exists) first.

Upgrade the backup Cisco CallManagers second.

Upgrade the primary Cisco CallManagers last.

After all Cisco CallManagers are upgraded, all servers must be rebooted.

Make sure that when the SA and Administrator passwords are set they are the same for all servers in the cluster.

From this excellent doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00800945ca.shtml#ccm4x

There are some references to Tasks/Times in this good doc;

Upgrading Your Cisco CallManager Server (When

You Are Not Replacing Hardware)

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps5820/c2001/ccmigration_09186a00803f5c23.pdf

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thank you for your insight.

Do you know how long an upgrade like this might take?

Hi Mike,

On the doc I sent (under Upgrading Publisher) there are some reasonable time estimates for the various segments of the upgrade. I have never done a 4.0(2) to 4.1(3) upgrade but similar ones have gone 4-6 hours. I would always want as long a maintenance window as possible in case you run into any issues. The other thing we usually do is open a TAC Case ahead of time so that you can have an Engineer assigned beforehand (again just in case!)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thank you Rob. I appreciate the help.

Thank you Rob.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: