cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

trying to copy flash to TFTP, can't ping host

saidfrh
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to copy the Cisco 2821 router's Flash to TFTP server. A cross-over cable is connected from a host computer to the router. Using the command line, I am able to ping the Ethernet interface of 2821 from the host. However from Hyperterminal the 2821 can not ping the host. Any suggestions to trouble shoot would be appreciated. The Win XP Firewall and the anti-virus have been disabled on the host.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Said

I am disappointed (but not completely surprised) that the TFTP did not work. Can you confirm that TFTP was running on the PC and was ready to receive the file? Do the logs of the TFTP server show that it saw an incoming request from the router?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Said

When I read the first part of the question and the symptoms were that the host can ping the router but the router can not ping the host, I was optimistic that I knew the answer. But then you say that the firewall has been disabled and that would seem to eliminate the possibility that it was a host firewall issue.

But then I thought: the XP firewall has been disabled. But is it possible that some other firewall (not the XP but something else like Norton or McAfee) is running.

The other troubleshooting step that I would suggest is to do show arp on the router and verify that the correct MAC address of the host does show up in the table and is associated with the address that the host is using. They do arp -a (assuming that it is an XP host) and verify that the MAC address of the router is in the table of the host.

If you can ping at least one way and if each device has the MAC address of the other and the MAC is associated with the correct IP address then I believe that you have demonstrated connectivity. The next step would be to try the copy command and see whether TFTP works.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks. The arp -a command on the host shows the IP address of the router's Ethernet address and its MAC address, with a type of "dynamic".

The sh arp command on the router shows the host's IP and MAC, AGE 5 (MIN).

I still can not ping the host from the router's console.

The sh run output is in the attachment. I noticed access list 23. I did a no access-list 23 permit 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.7 command,still unable to ping the host.

Said

Said

I believe that the information in the attached show run is helpful.

First let me point out that access list 23 is used to limit remote access to the router (used as access-class on the vty and on ip http server) and as such it would have no impact on doing TFTP from router to host.

I do notice something that may help explain the issue. I notice that there appear to be a few dropped characters in the config that you posted (perhaps something dropped in the process of cut and paste?). And I wonder if there is a dropped character in the IP address on the multilink interface which shows in the config as:

interface Multilink1

ip address 92.168.1.2 255.255.255.252

is the address really 192.168.1.2?

If so that creates a problem because that is the same subnet as the Gig interface:

interface GigabitEther

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

This creates overlapping subnets and might explain why the router is not able to ping the host. I suggest that you assign a different address on the multilink and see if the router can then ping the host.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

The multilink address is correct ip address 92.168.1.2 255.255.255.252. There is no overlap on the IP addresses.

Said

Rick,

Could disabling broadcast pings "no ip directed-broadcast" be the issue? The sh run command does not indicate if "no ip directed-broadcast" is enabled.

Said

Said

I do not believe that you were doing broadcast pings. And in the 12.4 version of code that you are running no ip directed-broadcast is the default configuration. So I believe that this has nothing to do with your problem.

As I suggest in my previous post I believe that the problem is overlapping addresses between the multilink and the GigEthernet. Try assigning a different address to the multilink and see if the ping starts to work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I changed the Multilink1 IP address. Stil unable to ping the host.

kerner#sh ip int br

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Prot

ocol

GigabitEthernet0/0 192.168.1.1 YES NVRAM up up

GigabitEthernet0/1 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down

Serial0/0/0:0 xxx.213.196.11 YES manual down down

Serial0/0/1:0 unassigned YES NVRAM down down

Multilink1 64.128.1.2 YES manual down down

kerner#ping 192.168.1.2

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.1.2, timeout is 2 seconds:

Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

kerner#sh arp

Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware Addr Type Interface

Internet 192.168.1.1 - 001c.5838.cbf0 ARPA GigabitEthernet0/0

Internet 192.168.1.2 43 000a.5e53.c556 ARPA GigabitEthernet0/0

kerner#

Rick,

The IP for the host was changed to .3. Unable to ping host from router. Command "copy run TFTP" timed out+error mssg. The following is the output of copy flash tftp.

kerner#ping 192.168.1.3

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.1.3, timeout is 2 seconds:

Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

kerner#sh arp

Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware Addr Type Interface

Internet 192.168.1.1 - 001c.5838.cbf0 ARPA GigabitEthernet0/0

Internet 192.168.1.3 0 000a.5e53.c556 ARPA GigabitEthernet0/0

Internet 192.168.1.2 53 000a.5e53.c556 ARPA GigabitEthernet0/0

kerner#copy flash tftp

Source filename [c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-3g.bin]?

Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.1.3

Destination filename [c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-3g.bin]?

%Error opening tftp://192.168.1.3/c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-3g.bin (Timed out

)

kerner#

Said

If there is no overlap in addresses that would interfere, and if the router is learning the MAC address and IP address of the PC (and assuming that the IP address and mask of the PC put it into the correct subnet), and since there is no access list on the router which would interfere with ping (or tftp) then I believe that it is not an issue on the router and is more likely to be an issue on the PC.

If you try tftp from the router to the PC does it work?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Said

I am disappointed (but not completely surprised) that the TFTP did not work. Can you confirm that TFTP was running on the PC and was ready to receive the file? Do the logs of the TFTP server show that it saw an incoming request from the router?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

The wonders of Microsoft...I rebooted the computer. I am able to ping from the router to the computer. Copying flash to TFTP was successfull.

Thanks for all.

Said

Said

I am glad that you were able to resolve this very curious issue. And it does indeed seem to be one of the wonders of Microsoft. Certainly it is not the first time that we have seen an issue involving that software to get fixed by a reboot.

Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your problem was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can know that they will read the successful resolution of that problem.

I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card