Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT done on perimeter router or firewall

saidfrh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am setting up a new network. Is NAT configured on the perimeter router, or the ASA5505 firewall?

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It depends, I usually prefer to do it on the firewall.

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Depends on the addressing you have been allocated. A typical setup is a service provider controlled router and they then allocate you a block of ip public ip addresses. One of these will be allocated to the inside interface of the SP router and the rest you use on your own devices.

Usually the device you place behind the SP router is a firewall so it is normally done on a firewall.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It depends, I usually prefer to do it on the firewall.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Depends on the addressing you have been allocated. A typical setup is a service provider controlled router and they then allocate you a block of ip public ip addresses. One of these will be allocated to the inside interface of the SP router and the rest you use on your own devices.

Usually the device you place behind the SP router is a firewall so it is normally done on a firewall.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: