2007 CCNA Bootcamp books good for CCENT test?

Unanswered Question
Jan 7th, 2008

I took a CCNA bootcamp early last year, before they changed the CCNA test, and before they added the CCENT test. However, I still have the Cisco Press books CCNA ICND and CCNA INTRO. Will studying the ICND book help towards the CCENT or has the material changed dramatically enough that I should purchase the new ICND1 book?

Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dbeare Mon, 01/07/2008 - 18:08

I took a class that was on the old CCNA stuff a few months before the test changed, and I decided to study the new text completely. The main difference was that the new test seems to be much more focused on routing. You need to know the basics, more so than before. There is some basic wireless stuff that has been added, and one of my favorite subtractions was no more ISDN. You do, how ever, need to know WAN, especially frame relay and PPP configurations, along with ACL, VLAN and all of the usual stuff.

The new material also touches on IPv6 very briefly, but I think this is really held off until the CCNP level certs.

I would recommend purchasing the ICND1 and 2 books. The old information you have will help you, as it should be fairly quick to learn the new stuff, but you need the new materials in my opinion.

ttrevino1 Tue, 01/08/2008 - 05:06

Thanks for the advice. I've heard they added a little IPV6 but wasn't sure how detailed it was. Did you take the CCNA or the CCENT? I'm planning on taking at least the CCENT this first quarter of 2008.

dbeare Tue, 01/08/2008 - 05:23

I took the CCNA composite exam, I found that it was easier for me to study for 1 exam rather than 2 exams. Best of luck to you.

ttrevino1 Tue, 01/08/2008 - 05:31

Congratulations, that's quite an accomplishment! Thanks for the encouragement.

AndySajous_2 Fri, 01/11/2008 - 14:32

just a heads up...ICND1 is the equivalent to the old INTRO test. The ICND2 is the equivalent to the old ICND test. So if you want to take the CCENT use the old INTRO book.

dbeare Fri, 01/11/2008 - 23:17

ICND1 is not equal to the old INTRO. While similar, the new tests have new requirements, mainly wireless and IPv6, that the old tests do not have. If you want to take the CCENT, you need to use ICND1 books, not the old INTRO books. There is a noticeable difference, and you need to make sure you are using up to date material when preparing, as the requirements for each test have changed.

Actions

This Discussion