cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Automating PIX Configuration

sfeltner00
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to automate the configuration of PIX501 (currently running 6.3). My goal is to have a tech pull a PIX out of the box and enter the Serial Number and MAC address into a database. At that point a DHCP reservation is made for the MAC address and the firewall is put on a shelf until needed.

When needed, the PIX is installed and powered up. The tech can then trigger an event to automatically push a configuration down (from outside) into the PIX eliminating as much operator error as possible.

The problem: The PIX does not come out of the box with SSH configured from the outside. Is there anyway to work around this? Presently, I am down to configuring SSH for outside, setting the domain-name and generating the RSA keys. I really need to eliminate even this amount of manual intervention.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Steven

1 Reply 1

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I used to use VB scripts in SecureCRT to eliminate user error. I know of no way to have a FW pre-configured from Cisco. I can provide the script if you like.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: