cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Debug 800 series Router

aaroncomp
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem. I have taken control of a cisco 800 series router from another tech that up and left our company. Recently my client has been experincing itermittent internet connectivity. There is a cisco router from verizon with t1 as the gateway and my cisco 800 series that has a static ip. I have access to the t1 and can see the event log and have noticed there hdlc t1 interface has lost signal a couple of times a day for the last couple of days. I am needing to setup a debug on my fastethernet4 port that is my outside(wan) port. to prove to the isp that it is their equipment causing the outage and not the 800 series router. They have sent out techs and they always say it is a problem with your router. My problem is I am in SC and the router is in PA. Any help would be great. thanks I have tried some debug commands but they either don't work correctly or the router won't accept them.

4 Replies 4

chschroe
Level 1
Level 1

What sort of debug information would you be interested in?

If there is some external event happening, you won't necessarily be able to see it via any debug command I can think of short of debug IP packet or similar.

If you can see that there are T1 up/down events on their router, that should be pretty clear.

Why do you have the two separate routers?

NS

The other cisco is the isp's t1 equipment. That connects my client to the the isp's t1 circuit. The problem I am having is they send a tech out to check the connection he plugs into the router gets internet and says that the problem is on my side. Is there a way to debug the port or is there a way to tell my cisco to pick the connection back up once they drop. I have tried giving the Fa4 port a no shutdown command and lowered the keepalive from (10sec) to (5sec) not sure what else to do to keep my cisco alive when their connection drops. right now my client is having to reboot my cisco to get back online.

David

It seems very unusual to me that your client would have to reboot to get back on line. It sounds like there is a problem between your router and the ISP router. In reading your first post I thought that you were describing some issue with the T1. But a T1 issue would certainly not prevent your router from communicating with the ISP router.

I wonder if there is some object tracking or IP SLA that you could configure on your router that would ping an address on the ISP router or perhaps the IP address that is the next hop at the end of the T1 and if that would be sufficient to the ISP to demonstrate that connectivity is lost?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks everyone for their input I opened TAC request to have a WAN team engineer look @ the router and determine what the problem is thanks. I thought maybe would be a simple debug command someone had knowledge of right away thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: