uplink Port from a 2960. It looks like a power over ethernet problem

which accour if you power off the 2960. The port is configured like

this:

interface FastEthernet0/1

power inline never

spanning-tree portfast

service-policy input CLASSIFY

Is anyone else expect the same problem ? As far as I know there was a

known bug befor 12.2.37 and it should be fixed in this release.

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do not enable spanning-tree portfast on switchports connected to another switch. Your switchport may be going to err-disabled when it receives the BPDU from the 2960.

HTH,

__

Edison.

I never see that happen, but thank you for the hint. The problem is that the other port isn't err-disabled .. the port is destroyed and you have to exchange the 2960.

When you said destroyed you meant the port will be completely dead hardware-wise?

I'm sorry I didn't take your original post literally. It seems there is a problem with the cabling there. I can only think of electrical pulses causing this kind of damage. Are you grounding all devices ?

__

Edison.

>When you said destroyed you meant the port will be completely dead hardware-wise?

Yes, we had to replace the 2960er Switch, the port was completely dead.

We also replaced the 3560er just to be shure. I will ask the customer if the grounding is on the same level on all devices.

Just to be clear, I'm referring to electrical grounding: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_grounding

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card