Views
Helpful
Replies

High (Most) availability between 2 distant sites but with only one NIC

coleop666
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm a little confuse and I don't know how it can be possible to do something with 2 distant sites linked with one NIC at each side.

My first react was that I need to have 2 Nic and for best availability 2 link but my client have only one.

So at each side it have already 2 switch 4506 with HSRP configured so they only need to change the WAN cable from one switch to the nother.

Somebody have an idea, what is the best thing I can do.

Thanks a lot

3 Replies 3

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

If you have one NIC card and you have multiple subnets (VLANs) then you can try running 802.1Q trunking on the NIC card of your server. That way you can trunk the respected VLANs to the server and have the multiple networks on one NIC card.You will need to make sure your NIC card supports it. If not then you may need to upgrade the NIC drivers or get a NIC card that does support it...

Tony.henry
Level 1
Level 1

Coleop,

Doesn't sound as though there is much more you can do for the systems at each end.

Do you have a routing protocol working on the routers or are you tracking interfaces to get HSRP swapping when appropropriate?

Tony

Thank you Tony, I'm thinking the same way, there is no good solution just have a new interface or a new link will be the best.

For answering your question, I know that my client can only plug the cable on the other switch and all is working so the HSRP is working fine and the routing is done to the second switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card