Cisco Press & Boson...your suggestion

Unanswered Question
Jan 8th, 2008

I'm studying for the 640-802 to be taken in August. I've purchased the Boson CCNA package, and am about half through Odom's first Cisco Press book of the two book series.

I'm just curious if my approach to studying is ok. I plan on reading through Odom's Cisco Press series, then hitting the Boson Exsim and Netsim material.

What do you think?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Istvan_Rabai Tue, 01/22/2008 - 11:32

Hi Friend,

I would suggest a somewhat different approach:

Study one chapter from Odom's book: this is the theory.

Then sit down to the simulator and do some exercises to have a better understanding of the theory by practicing.

When you know and understand the contents of the chapter cold, then only go to the next chapter.

The following chapters usually build on the knowledge you gained in the previous chapters. So if you don't understand the previous one well enough, you will have difficulties with the following chapters.

This approach will also speed up your progress.

So you may be ready for the exam before August, if you are not careful enough :)

Cheers: Istvan

jackzalewski Wed, 02/06/2008 - 18:59

I agree with Istvan regarding how to study but with one caveat. Stay away from the Boson NetSim Simulator. I used it in the past when it was somewhat relevent to the CCNA sylabus. I came close to passing but I have had to restart with the new CCNA material and it is quite different.

I was surprised when I didn't see a demo version of NetSim with the new Cisco books (this alone should sounded alarm bells) but I purchased a copy of NetSim 7.0 anyhow. Shock of shocks it is only slightly different from NetSim 6.0 and does not keep up with the material at all. Except for the most basic comands it is a big disappointment.

I've been trying to get my money back from Boson without success. I think I'll have to go and take the exam prematurely, fail it and get my money back that way.

Now I should point out that the other Boson product the ExamSim (Exam Simulator) is not too bad as a study tool.

robertham Thu, 02/07/2008 - 05:12

I personally utilize the ExamSim for my present efforts towards obtaining my CCDA...

As with any test exam, ensure your not just learning the questions and fully understand the explinations.. By doing so i found my examsim included a large number of mistakes. If you blindly learn based off the sim marking the answer incorrectly, you will be in a world of hurt come test time.

Br4xt0n41 Thu, 02/07/2008 - 08:18

I used the cisco press books but also purchased todd lammle's 640-802 , covered from end to end, i also had ccna network sim frm bosom, which helped when i wanted to ensure i knew the proper commands. all in all, after studying, taking the icnd and intro exams on this site and lammle's exams, I passed. I would suggest you score an average of 90+ % on written before taking exam and fully understand layer 2 and layer 3 .

This Discussion