cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to find the chassis serial number on a PIX?

gwhansen59
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I'm trying to find out how to accurately find what command will give you the chassis serial number of a PIX.

I've seen conflicting info on the web and not which is correct. I've seen that you can execute the "show version" command but I've read that the serial number shown is not the chassis serial # (not the number that is affixed to the back of the device).

Is there a command that will provide you the chassis serial number?

Thanks,

GH

3 Replies 3

mark.j.hodge
Level 3
Level 3

sh ver will show the serial number. However when it comes to registering for service contracts you will need to pre-pad the results to get the chassis serial number. i.e. if your sh ver is 8123451234 the chassis number will be 888123451234 and if the show ver number is 4123451234 the chassi number is 444123451234.

** please posts rate if helpfull **

What if my serial number starts with a 9? Is is 889 or 449 or 999?

*I've used the Check Device Coverage to check all variations and none of them are returning any results.

@WilliamHancock 

If it's really a Pix then you won't have any coverage. These devices have not been sold in over a decade and are long past end of support.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card