cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting an AP to associate to a specific controller

jpeterson6
Level 2
Level 2

I currently have two 4404 controllers that will be replaced by a WiSM.

The WiSM is configured and is online, but no accesspoints are associated with it yet. the ap-manager and management interfaces are on the same subnet as the current controllers.

My question is, how do I get a specific AP to go to the WiSM instead of the 4404's so I can test it?

I have created a test VLAN with an option 43 DHCP to point to the WiSM instead, however it still associates to the 4404's.

I'm assuming it is because it checks for the DNS name (CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER) before it checks option 43 entries when looking for a controller..and unfortunately I don't think I can change that DNS entry without taking down the wireless network.

Is there any way to bypass this? I simply want to test wireless connectivity with the WiSM before I do the official cut-over. When the cut-over happens the WiSM's management and ap-manager IP addresses will be changed to match the current ones on the 4404's.

By the way the AP in question is an 1100, as are the rest in the live network.

Thanks for any help, I've hit a brick wall here.

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jeff,

You could try these two methods;

Configuring Static Parameters to Register the Access Point to a Controller

Using the password that the controller sent to the access point, enter into EXEC mode on the access point console. When the access point is running LWAPP or a recovery IOS image, you can configure the static IP address on the access point, the IP address on the controller, the access point hostname, and the default gateway IP address by entering these commands:

•lwapp ap ip address ip-addr subnet-mask

•lwapp ap controller ip address ip-addr

•lwapp ap hostname ap-hostname

•lwapp ap ip default-gateway ip-addr

The access point with a recovery IOS image uses the static controller IP address to register to the specified controller and download the current LWAPP image. After the access point successfully registers to the controller, it receives configurations from the controller. The access point static hostname and the IP address of the controller are deleted from the access point configuration file. However, the access point static IP address and the netmask and the default gateway IP address are not deleted.

When the access point is running a recovery IOS image, the commands to configure the static IP address on the access point, the IP address on the controller, the access point hostname, and the default gateway IP address are always enabled.

These commands are disabled in the following cases:

•When the access point is running an LWAPP image.

•When the access point has an LWAPP configuration file in NVRAM.

•When the access point is in REGISTERED state with the controller.

The access point console displays the following error message if you enter any of these commands when they are disabled:

"ERROR!!! Command is disabled."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp173579

Using Master Controller Mode;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1130/installation/guide/113h_f.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob for the great reply.

It would have been helpful, but unfortunately due to a typo on my part you were mislead. It's not an 1100 AP but a 1010 AP so there is no console for the individual APs.

Sorry to have mislead you like that.

One thing I thought of last night was just denying access to DNS on the test subnet. That should effectively prevent the AP from finding CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER. I'll try it today and hopefully it'll work.

Hey Jeff,

No worries! My Baboon-like typing skills are always causing me problems as well :) Who would have known when I flunked Typing 10!

Take care,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card