cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade to new IOS version

roger.malik
Level 1
Level 1

i have two flash file in router one with ver 12.3 and other with 12.5. currently router is loading from 12.3 while i want router to load from new flash ver file 12.5a. please let me know how can i do this i am using 3845 router.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Amit,

As Rick updated you can configure boot statement and make sure your config register value is set to 0x2102 which basically tells the router to look at the boot statement configured.

Also once you change your boot statements just save the config and reload the router and your router should boot with the image configured in first boot statement.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Amit

By default the router will boot the first image that it finds in flash. If you want it to boot a different (newer) image you add a boot system statement in global config. The boot statement is something like this:

boot system flash:

When I do this I usually put a boot system command for the new image followed by a boot system command for the old image - just in case there is a problem with the new image.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

so after put both the commands will router try to boot from new image since i have given boot system earlier and if it has some issue then will try reload from old ?

also after putting the command do router require reload ? thanks again rick

Rick request you to reply above query then i am done to go ahead. thanks a bunch dude.

Hi Amit,

As Rick updated you can configure boot statement and make sure your config register value is set to 0x2102 which basically tells the router to look at the boot statement configured.

Also once you change your boot statements just save the config and reload the router and your router should boot with the image configured in first boot statement.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

hi Rick & Ankhasi

Strange thing happening now, i uploaded new IOS ver c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-5a.bin

and given the command as you said "boot system flash c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-5a.bin". but it has booted wiht old ver only i.e 12.3. i amm attaching crash info file for you. pleas suggest.

Crashinfo is not usefull at this point. What could have happened is that IOS you have is bad - try a different IOS subversion. Or maybe it has bad checksum. Try to check it's MD5 hash.

Use the following command:

verify /md5 image_name

like this, if your file is on disk1:

verify disk1:c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-5a.bin

What is the output of "show bootvar" command?

hey command 'show bootvar is not available.

i got MD5 result here it is

.......................................................................................................................Done!

verify /md5 (flash:c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-5a.bin) = 61a5f61f101c5a0424e63fd636e4c056

also i have loaded existing working file from redudant router. still you want me to have fresh copy uploaded ? please suggest

Hi Amit,

As Pavlo suggested try another version this looks like to be a software issue or may be bad software. Try another one from same train and update the results.

Regards,

Ankur

any idea

Amit

I see this line in the crashinfo that you posted:

Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3845-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.3(14)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2

Would I be correct that 12.3(14)T7 is the old version of code that you were running? It makes me wonder if the router had loaded the new code or the old code.

You could try a different version of code as others have suggested. Or you might try booting the router again. This time have a console session during the boot process, capture and post all the console messages as the router boots. This would help us understand whether the router is loading the new code and what the problem is.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Amit,

Can you verify your boot statement is correct? You pasted this:

"boot system flash c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-5a.bin",

but I believe Rick had indicated it should be

"boot system flash:c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-5a.bin".

Notice the missing colon ":" from your entry?

HTH

Steve

Steve

You correctly notice a difference between what I suggested and what appears to have been configured. I just set this up on a test router and it appears that the colon is optional. I set up a boot system statement that omits the colon and the router loaded that image anyway.

I believe that IOS expects a colon in the boot system command now. But it appears to be an option not a requirement. It may be a backwards compatibility thing. Earlier versions of IOS specified the boot system command without the colon.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card