cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

%DHCPD-3-WRITE_ERROR: DHCP could not write bindings to

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

To try and simulate a customer similar problem I went to our lab Cisco 2851 and did the following:

config t

(config#)ip dhcp database flash://JOHN/database

(config#)end

I get nmessages like these every one minute:

%DHCPD-3-WRITE_ERROR: DHCP could not write bindings to //JOHN/database.

Customer is seeing same problem on his router.

When I do dir all-filesystems after above config commands I don't see the file JOHN.

Then I did

config t

(config#)ip dhcp database flash://JOHN

(config#)ip dhcp database flash://JOHN/database

(config#)end

Now I do a dir all-filesystem and I can see JOHN, but I syill get the error message every one minute:

%DHCPD-3-WRITE_ERROR: DHCP could not write bindings to flash://JOHN/database

What am I missing?

7 Replies 7

I had this link before and I understand what the error means, but I want to know why my configuration is giving this error message.

Hi Astan,

I remember there was also a bug for the same. Please update me the IOS you are running on the box so that I can confirm the same.

Regards,

Ankur

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Can you please confirm me the product model and the ios version you are running where you are getting this error message? ALso can you check the flash size i.e how much is available space in your flash device?

Have you tried squeeze on your flash?

Regards,

Ankur

Platform is 2811 and version is 12.3(11)T. Is there any known S/W defect. We do not believe it is a flash space problem.

Hi Astan,

I was looking at the command ref guide and it suggest to use the URL instead of the name so can you try the syntax like this

ip dhcp database url [timeout seconds | write-delay seconds]

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/ipaddr/command/reference/ip1_i1g.html#wp1080731

in URL you can provide FTP string where the FTP string is

ftp://user:password@host/filename

That is how you can secure the access to the FTP server in it.

Example:

The following example specifies the DHCP database transfer timeout value at 80 seconds:

ip dhcp database ftp://user:password@172.16.1.1/router-dhcp timeout 80

Try this and update me if it helps.

Regards,

Ankur

I had a similar issue.

I have an FTP username/password configured for backing up configs already working, if I used the command without a username/password  the database backsup OK.

The commands I used in the end were:

ip ftp username [username]
ip ftp password [password]

ip dhcp database ftp://[server]/[filename] timeout 80

This also allows the router to encrypt the password with Cisco type 7 (I know it's not much, but stops plaintext password at least).

Hopefully this may help someone else.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card