cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSEC through cable service speed

brooklynheight
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway to verify the download and uprate speed on a IPSEC tunneel have going from our branch to our data center?

We are utilizing cable internet service.

Also...what would be the most efective way to test the pipe with load?

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Leoanrdo

There are some sites on the Internet which offer a speed test which you could utilize. What I would do would be to set up my own speed test. I would get several machines connected on the remote side of the VPN and I would have each machine download a fairly large file from the data center (ideally each remote machine is downloading from a different machine in the data center to minimize the possibility that one download might impact any other download). If you use the size of the files downloaded and the time required then you can calculate the download speed. Then to test the upload speed I would reverse the process and have the remote machines upload file to the data center.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hmm so there is no way on a router to estimate total bandwidth delivered?

Leoanrdo

Well that seems to be a slightly different question. If you want to use something on the router to estimate bandwidth delivered then I would suggest that you can do this to estimate the bandwidth:

- set the load interval on the interface to 30 seconds (the default is 5 minutes. you will get a better estimate with as short an interval as possible, which is 30 seconds).

the command is load-interval 30

- let some traffic flow through the router (at least 30 seconds worth).

- do show interface on the interface where inbound traffic arrives.

- look for the line which gives 30 second input rate and 30 second output rate. These should allow you to estimate the bandwidth delivered.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card