EIGRP concept

Unanswered Question
Jan 9th, 2008

Hello again....I've been studying for the CCNA exam and just started on EIGRP in the past few days. I found the concept a little hard to grasp. I have been reading the Sybex book, 2x Cisco docs and another 3rd party paper about it. But due to the lack of the diagrams and only reading words, it seems difficult to grasp the "action" of EIGRP. I'm wondering if anyone has some links to some URLs that will give better explanation of how EIGRP works in graphics (or even better animations).

Thanks. - AC.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
alexmchau Thu, 01/10/2008 - 04:47

Thanks Steve ! This is a wonderful link and I have already went through the module. I have better understanding now but am wondering if I would need to revisit for the metric formula calculation in CCNA level. (But I do need that eventually since I will certainly be pursuing CCNP path in the future)

- AC

dbeare Thu, 01/10/2008 - 07:09

The formula for calculating EIGRP metrics isn't necessary on the CCNA level, but I know I've already run into it early in my CCIP studies. The main concepts you want to be concerned with are setting up EIGRP, what EIGRP uses to determine its metrics (bandwidth & delay by default) and what the advantages to EIGRP are as a routing protocol and when to use it.

Actions

This Discussion