cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need a new firewall

tim
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a sonic wall pro vx. I need to replace it. It is currently not filtering properly and acting weird. I have already tried reflashing the firmware. I would really like to go with cisco or a good comprable product. The problem i am having is that i'm looking for a router that does VPN along with a firewall that i can block certain websites along with key words. We are having some issues of guys playing online.

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use a router for that. A nice thing about a router too is there is no user limit behind it and it also includes the free VPN client (so does the firewall BTW). To block websites you can either block the network or use URL filtering. Juniper can do all of this too (the have pre-built URL filtering for blocking online gaming/sports/p0rn/etc), but you have to pay for VPN clients.

HTH

mnorwood
Level 1
Level 1

If it's a decent firewall/VPN/filtering appliance you are looking for, the Cisco ASA 5500 line is probably what you want. I would say you are probably looking for the 5510 as a good replacement for the old Sonicwall Pro VX. I am including the link to the model comparison page, so you should get a pretty good idea of which model would fit you the best.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html

Thanks for the suggestion. That looks like just what we may need. I finally got sonic wall to play with everything else, for now. But we do need a new solution soon.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: