Views
Helpful
Replies

CAM Test Failure in 3550

cscarindam14
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have WS-C3550-24-EMI. We are currently running 12.1(14)EA1. We upgraded the IOS to 12.2(40)SE and we are encountering this following warning :

!!! WARNING: The switch is not usable !!!

Reason:

Device test failed for CAM mask read

Also we observed all the interfaces to be down. I am attaching the "show version" and "show post" output.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Arindam

6 Replies 6

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Arindam, the POST is the initial system test check prior to loading ios, a POST fail is a typical indication of some sort of hardware problem specially when one sees INIT: failed CAM ASIC initialization I suggest that you open a TAC case and get the switch replaced.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/1214ea1/3550hig/35trbl.htm

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Hello Jorge,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Well after encountering the said error message under show version, I have fallen back to the earlier IOS 12.1(14)EA1 and things started working fine. Could you please throw more lights into this why I am encountering with the error message only after upgrading IOS to 12.2(40)SE.

Thanks,

Arindam

what is the complete image name of each IOS that is the 12.1 and the 12.2

Jorge Rodriguez

The one which we are using is c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-14.EA1 and the one where we are encountering problem is c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-40.SE.bin

Thanks,

Arindam

I double check the image which is ok for your EMI platform, assuming you system meets the ram and flash requirements I would open a TAC case still , it is not clear why 3550 fail POST with this image.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Hello Jorge,

Yes there is no problem with the RAM and Flash Requirements. However as you said it really its unclear why there is POST failure with the desired image. Anyways I would keep you posted.

Rgds,

Arindam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco