self study books

Unanswered Question
Jan 9th, 2008

hi.

I'm looking forward to buy some materials

for my CCNP self-study.

can you please tell me which books whould I get from cisco press or anywhere.

As much as possible, I'f I'm gonna buy, I want to make sure it's the best one.

and which one should I prefer, self study guide series or practical study guide series?

Just got my CCNA last december.

thanks in advance

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dbeare Wed, 01/09/2008 - 18:57

I just picked up the Self-Study guide 3rd edition last Friday and I'm already well into it. Lots of great information, and compared to some of the other Cisco text, easy to read and comprehend. From what i've been told, you want to use the self-study guide and then the exam study guide. I'm starting off with the BSCI, since I'm planning on going the CCIP route. Best of luck in your studies.

jsheriony Wed, 01/09/2008 - 20:46

thanks a lot.

what about the exam certicifation books?

self study guide?

practical study guide?

or

Exam certification guide?

Thanks again

ross_rulz Wed, 01/09/2008 - 20:54

Hey mate,

The best material for CCNP is the Bryant Advantage alot better then Cisco Press. If you want an easy to understand well written study guide go to www.thebryantadvantage.com and take it from there.

Ross.

jsheriony Wed, 01/09/2008 - 21:59

thanks for the advice.

bryanadvantage.

how are good are they??

Hi There

I have used the Bryant Advantage for my CCNA studies and am now using them for my CCNP studies and I find them really useful.

You have 2 options with Bryant Advantage,

1. The study guide in Text format that you read

2. You can get a CBT version from Train Signal

I usually get both. I use the text version (which I print) on my commute to and from work and use the CBT's when I have access to my PC.

However I would also advise that you use more than just one source for study material.

The idea behind the Study guide and the exam certification guide is that you should use the study guide to get a good understanding of the technologies covered and then when you understand the material you use the exam certification guide to sharpen up on the points you are likely to face on the exam.

Just a note, Besides the Cisco press books which are written specifically for the CCNP courses there are a number of books which are geared towards the CCIE written which also cover what you need for the CCNP.

These are,

Routing TCP/IP vol 1 & 2 by Jeff Doyle

CCIE Routing and Switching by Wendell Odom

Internet Routing Architectures by Sam Halabi

Just some more options :)

Best Regards,

Michael

LordFlasheart Thu, 01/10/2008 - 00:40

I've only taken BSCI and am working on BCMSN but the following, in my eyes, are best for each:

BCSI - Self Study Guide - absolutely excellent

BCMSN - Student Guide v3.0 - great for VoIP and Wireless, actually great for everything. The Self Study Guide is not that great in comparison but may be useful for reference purposes.

Good luck!

Sachin.bhamra Thu, 01/10/2008 - 02:33

When you guys are stating 'Self Study Guides' who are these books written by and what is the title of these books?

Im studying for my CCNP (BCMSN one first) and am using the Ciscopress Official Exam Certification Library 4th Edition. Its a good read, but does get confusing at times and has more command strings than the theory. So the books I have, are they more tailored towards the exam once one knows the theory?

Should I invest in purchasing the Self Study books first, then read the Exam Cert Library?

Sachin.bhamra Thu, 01/10/2008 - 02:35

When you guys are stating 'Self Study Guides' who are these books written by and what is the title of these books?

Im studying for my CCNP (BCMSN one first) and am using the Ciscopress Official Exam Certification Library 4th Edition. Its a good read, but does get confusing at times and has more command strings than the theory. So the books I have, are they more tailored towards the exam once one knows the theory?

Should I invest in purchasing the Self Study books first, then read the Exam Cert Library?

Hi There

Can I ask where you get the title "BCMSN - Student Guide V3.0"? I have checked Amazon with no joy and when I google it I get a load of "torrent" sites. I would be interested in buying a copy if it has good coverage of Wireless and VoIP as I have just passed BSCI and am about to start into BCMSN.

Best Regards,

Michael

jorgenolla Thu, 01/10/2008 - 05:59

All the resources for CCNP from Cisco Press can be found on the link below. The Self-Study books are the best. They have complete explanations of theory, practice, and Cisco's recommended best practices.

If you really want to understand the concepts and how to properly apply them, start with the Self-Study guides.

My only regret when I was doing my CCNP this year, was that Cisco Press didn't have ISCW and ONT Self-Study guides. The Official Exam Certifications guides fall way short on theory and implementation.

http://www.ciscopress.com/markets/detail.asp?st=44734

Actions

This Discussion